Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

187 SunDeck struggles to plane

Bazilpoint
Bazilpoint Member Posts: 5
Any feedback appreciated...  New to boating and just purchased a 2015 187 Sundeck w/4.3 Mercruiser I/O.  Really like the boat but experiencing problems when trying to come out of the hole when loaded with more than 5 people,  Really struggles to plane and in some cases will not plane at all.   

Just purchased and only have had in the water a couple of times.  I was always a little suspicious of how clean the 3 blade prop was (took off nicer prop added cheaper aluminum one...) but looked past it since I really like the boat.  After some research looking like I need a better prop (4 blade ?) or adding some trim tabs.  

Question is what would be the best prop for this boat when the goal is to get out of hole quick and pull skiers.  Do not want to sacrifice top end speed but willing to if really helps initial planning of boat.  Also do trim tabs help? 

Comments

• guyfromohio
    guyfromohio Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Prop size and pitch wil make a huge difference.  Mine went from top-end 35 mph and dragging out of the whole to 45 mph and can get my fat but out of the water on skis.  I'd have a marina help you find right prop.
  • gmtk
    gmtk Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Had the same problem. Get some Nautilus trim tabs. Can install yourself. Instant improvement. Nauticus SX9510-80 Smart Tab SX Series Trim Tabs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DZ2VVC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_e4vsBbP9NJPC6
  • bigbuka1
    bigbuka1 Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    second smart tabs...works great!
    2012 Hurricane SD2000
  • steddyfretter
    steddyfretter Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Have the 115 XA Yamaha on my 187. Had the same issue initially. By all means get the smart tabs like others have said. Literally jumps on plane now with people on board and stays there at lower speeds as well.
  • sullmate
    sullmate Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    switch to a smaller pitch prop. Should improve holeshot, as long as you don't overrev the engine. Get the part number off the current prop and check pitch. Top r p m should be around 4800 on an i/o.
  • Bazilpoint
    Bazilpoint Member Posts: 5
    Finally decided on lowering pitch prop to 19.  Did the trick, pop out of the water 30% faster and can pull 6 ft good skier out on one ski.
  • dalouie2
    dalouie2 Member Posts: 8
    ANYONE RUNNING STAINLESS STEEL YAMAHA PROP    13.25 X 17    IM CURRENTLY  USING ALUMINUM  13.25 X 17  
    TRYING TO RESOLVE  LOAD CARRYING AND AM ADDING SMART TAB TRIM TABS BEFORE GOING TO ANOTHER PROP SIZE  OR MATERIAL     ANY THOUGHT     HURRICANE SD187  115 HP OUTBOARD    19 PITCH  BOAT WAS TERRIBLE   17 ALUMINUM GREATER RESULT    BUT STILL LOOKING FURTHER   
  • tommydio
    tommydio Member Posts: 10
    Finally decided on lowering pitch prop to 19.  Did the trick, pop out of the water 30% faster and can pull 6 ft good skier out on one ski.

What prop exactly did you go with?  Brand, material  and size?  I have a 2014 with same engine. Pretty much the same boat.  Take a while to plane, but struggling to stay on the plane at tubing speeds for kids.  Thanks.  Smart tabs is an option too. 
  • dalouie2
    ok sea trial today,  the nautilus tabs are installed that made a big difference as the boat pops rt up  on plane  so if you don't have them i suggest getting them.      now im questioning  top speed of other same 187  115 hp  yamaha outboard  owners   17 pitch prop aluminum  i clocked boat with  a handheld gps  at 26.3 mph  wide open throttle  5300 rpm  only me on board  1/4 tank fuel    does this speed sound correct for this hurricane 187sd   and i am told  a 19 pitch prop would be better  which we had on the boat  with  no tabs and the boat was a total dog  with any passengers . that prop is not in good shape to retest   
  • JJ_in_Florida
    JJ_in_Florida Member Posts: 15
    dalouie2 said:
    ok sea trial today,  the nautilus tabs are installed that made a big difference as the boat pops rt up  on plane  so if you don't have them i suggest getting them.      now im questioning  top speed of other same 187  115 hp  yamaha outboard  owners   17 pitch prop aluminum  i clocked boat with  a handheld gps  at 26.3 mph  wide open throttle  5300 rpm  only me on board  1/4 tank fuel    does this speed sound correct for this hurricane 187sd   and i am told  a 19 pitch prop would be better  which we had on the boat  with  no tabs and the boat was a total dog  with any passengers . that prop is not in good shape to retest   
    I have the same boat and prop. I was worried about planing issues while researching. Bought used and mine came with smart tabs. No issues planing. I do have an issue with top speed though like you do now. I go at about 25/26 mph at about 5700 rpms. These seems low to me. I also am able to go past 6000 rpms easily to get more speed but I don’t out of fear of breaking something. I think I either: need a different prop OR need to adjust my smart tabs. I haven’t been able to do it since it has been raining here every weekend. I was wondering if the smart tabs affected speed but wasn’t sure until I saw your post. 
  • dalouie2
    tabs  made a planing and  hole shot  improvement    bow is level for safe  view of waters ahead     now  will a 19 pitch prop add that much more top end   i dont know  im sure some  no doubt    but  i think this is the max speed for a 115hp on this size boat   love the boat  size shape  etc  but   32 mph be sweeter     also have added much recommended yamaha  ring free  fuel additive     we purchased this used as well  and i do not know the hours on the motor    2005 thx d
  • dalouie2
    oh first time with smart tabs and i have set in the # hole setting    
  • dalouie2
    yamaha recommends ringfree the entire ownership of the motor   its tad pricy but u don't need a lot   2 ounces to start off then  one once per ten gallons 
  • JJ_in_Florida
    JJ_in_Florida Member Posts: 15
    dalouie2 said:
    oh first time with smart tabs and i have set in the # hole setting    
    Which hole#? I am in second from the end(furthest from the boat) 
  • dalouie2
    my bad typing error    im in the middle hole   im calling number three