Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

What prop pitch?

I'II purchasing a used 2020 19cc Hurricane soon. I'm having the dealer take off a 140hp Suzuki and replacing it with a 2021 Suzuki 200hp inline 4. What do you think the best all around prop (pitch) would be for this application?

Answers

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a bit hard to tell without you first using the boat with the new motor and seeing how it performs with the stock prop.  It's often seems easier to use that as a starting point in evaluating the performance.  You also have to decide what type of performance is most important to you.  What interests you most, trolling speeds, hole shot for water sports, top cruising speed, etc.  What you plan on doing with your boat will have an effect on what type of prop will end up suiting you the best.

You will be at maximum horsepower rating for the boat with that engine upgrade.  I would recommend seeing how the boat performs with the stock configuration and take it from there.  You might be pleasantly surprised and not have to play musical props. 

Maybe someone with a similar boat can share some experience.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Dave1
    Dave1 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you. The dealer is making sound like I have to purchase the prop separately from the motor, at least stainless steel anyway. I'm looking for a good "all around" prop pitch that's descent on both ends of the spectrum. We're thinking 21", but he says maybe 23". And I'm thinking 19" won't be enough on the top end.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, got ya! 

Looks like Suzuki offers prop pitches from 17 - 27.5.  Not sure of the prop diameter(s) available.  I also have been struggling to find a Suzuki Prop - Selector chart/guide, which could have been of help.  The website states to see a dealer, not very helpful.   

If we agree that based on the Suzuki prop offerings for the 200HP motor, 17 pitch gives best hole shot and 27.5 pitch gives highest speed (a 10.5 pitch spread), factor in your quick planing hull (@ 13 degree deadrise), my best guess is that the best all-around performance pitches should be somewhere in the 21 to 23 pitch range.  Maybe the 23 pitch recommendation may not be that off?
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer