Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Is Hurricane addressing the fueling problem on the SS 188?

Randal
Randal Member Posts: 3
Not only is it difficult to put in fuel, mine also spews fuel from the vent.  Unfortunately it did this after we put the boat on the lift and it destroyed my strip decal. As many people have experienced this fueling issue are there any recalls from the manufacturer to fix it?

Answers

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    What year?  Year depends on what kind of fuel system you have.  Beginning in 2009 for California and in 2011 for the rest of the United States, portable fuel tank makers and PWC manufacturers had to meet new EPA mandated diurnal emissions requirements. 
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Randal
    This is a 2019 SS188 I/O.  I have contacted the dealer but trying to do some research into the problem. This seems like a great place to start. 
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, where to begin (I apologize cause this will probably be a bit long and more info than you wanted), this problem exists with not just boats from Hurricane, its any boat manufactured from 2011 to 2019 and it has to do with new EPA mandates (our government at work) on marine fuel tanks and how they now have to not allow hydrocarbons into the air.  Boat manufacturers purchase fuel systems from fuel system manufacturers.  These manufacturers designed the EPA compliant fuel systems for boat manufacturers to use on their boats.  Prior to 2011, fuel systems were vented at the or near the cap, allowing hydrocarbons (gas fumes) into the air.  The new system is a sealed system capturing and processing hydrocarbons, this system is more complicated and adds more parts (which, of course, adds more points of failure).

2010 and Earlier Vented Fuel System

2011 and Later Diurnal Fuel System

Slow fueling and splash-back problems can often come from a venting issue – common with with the inlet control valve – P-trap or fill.  Also, you cannot fill these tanks completely as they have an air gap purposely designed in them to allow for expansion.  Sometimes the Carbon Canisters can also get clogged, but that is usually with older boats

Here's a link to a pretty good video on the subject from Perko: 
    https://www.perko.com/sstv_video/sstv_fuelsystems/

Now comes the update, the diurnal system has been modified on the 2020 model year boats to a less complicated design (welcome to the slow motion of government change):

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Randal
    Sounds like our government in action, I dare say more fuel has been dumped into our lakes polluting way more than the fumes. Thank you for your response. 
  • fdcaptain
    fdcaptain Member Posts: 3
    Hello I had the fuel spit back slow fuel fueling problem with my 2013 226 Fundeck even when fueling from a can totaly painfull! Upon checking my vent system I found that the hoses were way too long and unsuported causing major dips and air blockage.Ensure that the hoses slope uphill to the vent/fill neck and are properly supported so they stay that way.Did the trick for me.
  • mannings
    mannings Confirm Email, Member Posts: 2
    VENTING
    I recently purchased a 2020 SP190ob and had the exact issue. In fact this was my first attempt at refueling on my lift since I purchased the boat. I never received any special instructions on refueling so I was dumping gas in the hole from 5 gallon cans. After 10 gallons I got the blockage (air)??? After reading the Forum and Google searching for several hours I finally understood the issue.  Spent a hour rigging up a gadget to blow low pressure air into the vent tube, went out to the boat, opened up the cap and boom, bam, belch, air and fuel and I didn't have to use my gadget? Praise the Lord. (ps, 112 degrees on the dock)
    #1- NOW, what do you guys recommend filling gas through? A large mouth metal funnel, with a 1", 1 1/4" neck?
    #2- Shame on Hurricane for not even mentioning this issue to owners.
    #3- Perko, I truly hope this is not an indication of your quality control. Why release an item without fully testing it. Ok it was a EPA thing but you guys are responsible to insure what you release will work.

2020 SP190 Sport
    Yamaha F150