Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Help hooking up trolling motor on 2004 HD201

Options
Bought a Minn Kota 70# 24 volt with a electrical pin attached that has 2 pins.
Hurricane has a 4 pin plug mounted up front with two sets of red and black wires that run to back battery area.

*My question is.....I need to replace my 2 pin to a 4 pin to match the boat plug/receptacle.

* secondly do I hook both black wires and both red wires to the battery posts not being used to make both batteries a 24 volt battery ( + and -)

* I assume they put two sets of wires to the plug so you can use one set if running a 12 volt motor and both sets if going 24 volt?.

I already have  two 12 volt batteries back there with a switch I keep on both and a trickle charger to 
maintain them.  It is going to be tight but I will buy two new batteries to run the trolling motor but it is going
to be very crowed back there. I will then buy a 24 volt charger I can keep plugged in when the boat is on
the lift.  THANK YOU...appreciate any help or advise you folks can give me.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a Minnkota Terrova 80 24 volt trolling motor bow mount on my boat.  There are only 2 wires required to hook up the motor due to the batteries being run is series.  Below is the plug and socket my dealer used, yes, it is a 3 wire plug...... yes, it only has 2 wires hooked up to it.  The dealer and I prefer the twist lock design over the push-in 2 wire MInnkota plug/socket design that was available at the time.  Minnkota may offer a better design now.

Picture 2 of 7

Below is a simplified wiring diagram for a 24 volt trolling motor:

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• itsmeboat
    itsmeboat Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I appreciate your answer, and this is exactly how I have mine.  The questionI I had was why two sets of #8
    wire from front to back.  It is a 2004 and a Minnkota mechanic gave me the answer.  He said they no
    longer do that but at one time you could by a trolling motor that would run 12 or 24 volts so you could hook up one 
    set to a 12 volt and the other set to  24 volt setup. That makes since. The only answer I got that makes sense.
    Not sure why you would need or want to switch your trolling motor back and fourth from 12 or 24 volts.
    I hade a very old Sears Ted Williams outboard that could be 5, 71/2, or 12 horsepower. All the switch really did was
    retard the magnito.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interesting explanation, appreciate you sharing it!

It's also good to know there is another set of wires going to the bow just in case you may want a bow mount fishfinder 
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer