Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

top speed with hurricane boats

boatnik
boatnik Member Posts: 2
what is the top speed with 201 sport with outboard, what is top speed with any hurricane with an outboard biggest outboard

Comments

• MNDaveC
    MNDaveC Member Posts: 24
    I have a SunDeck Sport 203 OB with a 150 Yamaha... I can hit 40mph pretty quickly, but it doesn't seem to want to go any faster than that despite playing with the (up) trim. Plenty fast for me.

Runs nicely in the low 30's when you back off the throttle a bit.
  • boatnik
    boatnik Member Posts: 2
    have a searay 190 sport with IO hitting 57mph gps speed, but want to switch to a hurricane with an outboard without giving up to much speed. Captain steve says with a 200 hp on a 201 will top out at about 48.5 mph. I don't know if I can even get something in Hurricane with an IO.
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    My 2010 Hurricane SD 217 (21 foot) with a Yamaha 150 OB will top out at around 41 mph.  I know another guy at my marina that has the same boat with 200 HP Honda OB and he says his tops out around 46-47 mph.

I think you will find that under most conditions you can't run a deck boat as fast as you can run your deeper hulled Searay.  The flatter hulls on the Hurricanes make them rough rides at high speed unless conditions are glass smooth.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Always a trade off when it comes to a modified hull design. What you lose on top-end with a deck-style boat, you gain on things like shallow-water operation, etc. I was just trying to remember the last time I ran wide open for more than five min...probably when someone was chasing me! 

Hey boatnik...you can get Hurricane SunDecks up to nearly 27 feet in I/O... and several of the most popular SunDeck Sport models are also available in both OB & I/O.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'll share an experience to whoever wants to read it.  I'm sure there's others who have a similar story to tell.

When I was making my engine/drive decision on my boat I got a chance to speak with what I felt was a very knowledgeable Regional Sales Manager for Hurricane and we discussed performance expectations.  Since you really want to pick the "right" engine/drive combo on an I/O the "first" time (for obvious reasons), I was very concerned that I was making the right choice.  My model has a 320 hp max rating (quite a few of the models do).  He asked me what I was thinking was the right choice.  I told him I thought the 5.0L @ 260hp with a Bravo 3 drive would work well, but I would spend the extra money on the 350 MAG @ 300hp if his personal and customer experience recommended it.  He told me he thought I picked the right combo for the boat.  He felt the extra money was better spent on the higher performing drive, rather than the higher horsepower, as it would yield me better overall performance in all running conditions.  He further explained that due to the design of the Category 5 hull, upgrading the engine to the 300 hp wouldn't yield much more than 3 to 5 mph since these hull start to max out, speed wise, at around 50 mph.  Based on what I've experienced and have read, I think he was pretty much on track and I couldn't be happier with my choice.  After owning my boat for a couple of years I really appreciate how this boat jumps out of the water, planes with hardly any bow rise, stays on plane at speeds as low as 16 mph (good for beginners on water toys), the overall stability of the boat either standing still or on plane, the great room the boat offers over other design boats of the same size, the versatility of cruising/towables/fishing...... all of this (and others I'm sure could list more) I gladly accept doing a max speed of 45 mph instead of 50 mph.  But this is just me, others might prefer giving some of these deck boat advantages up for a deeper v-hull so they can do higher speeds.  Whatever floats your boat!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Bjlee99
    Bjlee99 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    My 2012 Hurricane SS 201 with a Mercruiser 225hp I/O gets up to 47-48mph without much problem, but Ernest T is spot-on. It's kind of a rough ride at that that speed and I don't spend much time at WOT. There are better toys for going fast. But for all-around usability including cruising, fishing, water sports, etc. it's a great boat.
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    I tell my guests I'll run WOT straight to the gas dock and they fill it up for me. That usually ends the need for speed.
  • tone100
    tone100 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I know its a smaller model but my SS188 will run in the mid 40's GPS with a Yamaha 150 OB.
    2011 SS 188 OB
    Yamaha F150
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Gotta get in on this! My FD196 is rated for 150hp max but is equipped with a Yamaha 115hp 4stroke. On smooth water with only the wife and self aboard it will run 41 1/2mph at redline of 6000rpm and wants to go faster so I back off. I thought perhaps a bigger prop was needed until I found that it will run about 38mph fully loaded at a max of 5800rpm. So the prop is loading the engine just about right. I can easily tow two up on a tube. It might go a bit faster with the bigger engine but I can run all weekend on one tank of fuel with this rig. Now my dealer tells me the engine has a rev limiter, so I want to see what it will do if I don't throttle back at redline. But as others have mentioned, there is that "speed limiting wife" alarm that kicks in about the time I get on plane.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 2010 SS188 OB paired with a 200HP Mercury Optimax, running a 5 blade stainless steel Mercury High Five 19P prop.

Factoring in a freshly cleaned hull and flat waters, I've had mine top out close to 52MPH.  This is again based on perfect conditions and just myself in the boat. 

However, as most have said, WOT is a couple times a year for 2-3 mins when I need to rush back to the dock.

I have a Smart Monitor on it and I can monitor fuel consumption.  At mid range RPMs and high 20s to 30MPH speed, I consume about 6 GPH.  WOT pushes that closer to 20GPH.  I'll stick to cruising. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Last thing I forgot to include was the significance of the 5 blade 19P prop.  I've selected this prop for watersports, so I lose several MPHs on the top end.  Hull + HP, plus prop will all factor into high end speed so you'll see even variations.  I believe I could push it to mid to high 50s if re-propped but isn't a requirement for how I use my boat.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Glazier
    Glazier Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2012 FD226 F4OB with 150 Yam OB, get into the low 40's pretty easy.
  • gmears
    gmears Member Posts: 2
    I have at 2013 2700 with twin Yamaha 200s. Top speed is 52 to 54 depending con conditions and load.
  • ToddC
    ToddC Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2013 216F fundeck with a 150 hp four stroke yamaha. Full fuel and family on it runs at 45 mph.