Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Fresh water tank leaking on 2008 sun deck 220....any ideas?

seapony
seapony Member Posts: 6
Fill up tank and starts leaking 

Best Answer

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If there is not an access plate there already, that is the time you will need to cut a hole near the outlet and install a deck plate to cover it.  Not fun, I know.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

Answers

• cjjjdeck
    I would start with the hose connections first, there will be an inlet and outlet connection.  Its not too often the tank itself obtains a leak over time unless you live in a colder climate and didn't service the tank with RV anti-freeze during winter storage and the tank cracked/split. 

• seapony
    Where is the outlet for the tank?
  • cjjjdeck
    Just an FYI, you should have a 13 gallon capacity tank.  Here's some pictures you may find helpful, your boat may be similar.  Fresh water tanks have one inlet, one outlet and one vent.  The inlet and vent should be at or near the top of the tank, the outlet will be at or near the bottom of the tank.  The second picture is shows Inlet and vent probably will be on top of the tank, the outlet will probably be located on the side of the tank, near the bottom.  You may have a leak at any one of the 3 fixture locations.  Based on you only getting water in the boat when you fill the tank up, I would target the top fixtures first.

• seapony
    tank leaks all the way empty in about 6 to 8 hours
    must be leaking from outlet hose area. Can’t find area of access to replace hose, tighten hose, check if leak is in the area of outlet
  • seapony
  • cjjjdeck
    Most boat manufacturers don't supply access to that system.  I guess they figure it should never need service like a fuel tank sender might.  This is one of those times you have to figure out where the system lies under the floor, then cut a hole in the deck to gain access, then install a deck plate to cover the hole.

Here's a picture of a typical deck plate, they come in a number of sizes, 5"-6" diameter is very common:

• seapony
    How do I locate where to cut the access hole.  
  • seapony
    How do I locate where to cut the hole
  • cjjjdeck
    Your boat already has some deck plates and or access panels already installed to access other systems.  Look into those areas and see if you can identify where the water tank is located.  Your water tank fill cap location can also give you a clue as the tank location is usually too far from the fill.  If you're having trouble not locating the tank and are becoming uncomfortable with drilling holes, you  may want to consider going to you local dealer for assistance.