Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Dash Switch question

Options
When I turn on my Main power switch to the dash,  My fuel gauge doesn't move.  The tank is full.  When I then hit the switch for my NAV/ANC lights, my fuel gauge pings to full.   This makes it seem like i have to run my Nav lights all the time for a fuel gauge reading. Now when I toggle the NAV/ANC lights back to off....the fuel gauge stays on full.  When I turn off the main power switch the fuel gauge starts to fall..this I would expect.   

I noticed this because on my maiden voyage, i noticed my fuel gauge was reading empty and I slightly panicked because i already left the dock with the family.   When i hit the NAV/ANC  it pinged up.

is this normal ?  

please help explain 

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems you might have a wiring issue as the nav lights should not have anything to do with you fuel gauge accept maybe turn on your instrument lights.

Your fuel gauge is designed and wired to work when you turn your ignition on.  The back of the gauge is clearly labeled by the terminals as to what wire should be attached ("S" for Sender, "I" for Ignition, 3rd terminal is ground).  Most often your gauges share a common ground and are daisy chained together.  Below is a wiring diagram for a Faria fuel gauge which might help you in checking your wiring behind the gauge:

Below is a typical wiring diagram of how the fuel gauge system is typically wired:

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Gbusam
    Gbusam Member Posts: 8
    Options
    thank you, I'll use this to start tracing wires.    I know fuel gauges are not the most accurate gauge on a boat, however a general idea of how much I have in the tank would be a decent bit of information to have.  I dont trust it yet 
  • Gbusam
    Gbusam Member Posts: 8
    Options
    do you have a similar illustration for the volt gauge?   that will be the next one i look at.     At the moment it's not reading anything.     I was able to track down some simple fixes for my trim and speedo.   the trim locator arm was stuck down, and the speedo hole was full of gunk on the lower leg.    i hope these other two gauges are just as simple 
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The majority of the gauges Hurricane has used is manufactured by Faria,  They have downloadable installation manuals you may find helpful for the rest of your gauges.  Here's the link:
     https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/manuals.php

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer