Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Rusting stainless steel

coopcarl
coopcarl Member Posts: 1
My 2016 SS203OB's stainless steel started rusting after one month.  Ingman Marine in Sarasota told me it was my fault for not polishing the stainless.  Hurricane told me it was not under warranty but after mentioning that I would go on social media to see if anyone else was having this problem they agree to replace most of the stainless.  Now after three weeks it is all rusting again.    Anyone else having the same problems?

Comments

• omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    My 2004 is wet slipped in salt water 4 months out of the year. No significant rust.
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • drolston
    drolston Member Posts: 3
    Cheap Chinese stainless may rust.  Replacement is generally prohibitive.  Check with West Marine for products to minimize the maintenance. The builder needs to upgrade quality assurance in that area. 
  • cpufixer1
    cpufixer1 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I get spots through-out the year. I found Flitz works the best. Expensive, but works.
  • tjohnson46
    tjohnson46 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, we have the very same problem!  We bought ours New in 2016  SS 231 OB.  We paid a fortune for it and we are  very disappointed!!!  The stainless is VERY cheap!  Why in the word did  they ruin the great tradition of a fine boat - well loved in Florida?    It is very hard to keep up with all of the rust running down the boat!!!  Sure seems like the older Hurricanes are far better - WHY did they change for the cheaper stainless?  
  • amayarose
    amayarose Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
  • OneMoreThing
    OneMoreThing Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2016 SS 231 as well and same thing.  I am shocked by it.  Plus, I got a crack forming on my rail where it joins the boat and Hurricane says it is cosmetic (I disagree).  They will do nothing so I am curious about what you said and how you said it.  
  • SteveB
    SteveB Member Posts: 3
    Stainless steel is just whats it says--it stains less. It is not stainproof! Having said that there are various alloys the are more "stain less" than others. It all has to do with the amount of chrome and nickel that are alloyed with the iron. 316l is a good stainless steel but 317 is better because it has a little more chrome and nickel and is considered a marine stainless steel. 18-21% chrome and 12-14% nickel with about 3-4% molybdenum. Change to 317 and I bet your problems go away. 

• SteveB
    SteveB Member Posts: 3
    In add on to my previous post most companies don't really know what they are buying. The box says 316L but what is it really. I have purchased 316L from overseas and found out it was 304 or something less by sending it to a laboratory for independent verification. Welcome to the world of smoke and mirrors. 
  • jccombs
    jccombs Member Posts: 15
    More evidence of a company who doesn't care about its customers ....