Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Should I remove seat cushions during transport

mpat36
mpat36 Member Posts: 3
We are new boaters and just purchased an 18 foot Sundeck Sport. We had a fairly long haul when we left the dealership with interstate travel and the salesman removed the seat cushions and stored them in the back of the truck. When we got home I noticed that they fit very tightly and I was wondering how many of you experienced boaters remove the cushions when transporting the boat? I called customer service and they said yes, they should be removed unless you have the boat covered during transport. And I am sure that is the standard answer. Most of our trips will be to a nearby lake within 45 minutes and we do not have a cover that will be used during transport.

Answers

• PescaBene
    PescaBene Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Take them out when you tow.  Besides losing your cushions, the flying object may cause serious damage to the poor soul driving behind you. 
  • maxbird
    maxbird Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    This has been an issue with the rear seat cushions in hurricane boats that have a drop in fit.  Many have lost them overboard over bumps during towing or they end up on the deck and bounce around.  I added some velcro to mine but ended up lashing them done.  They are very expensive to replace. 
  • hurrig8r
    hurrig8r Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I've got a Sundeck 187 (same boat, but with full windshield). The only cushion I remove is the one in the back. I too left the dealer and got on the interstate and saw that one breaking loose, so never again. Bow cushions and port side are all fine, I've done 70+ on the interstate for long periods and good to go. The bow cushions are hard enough to remove on their own.
  • JJ_in_Florida
    JJ_in_Florida Member Posts: 15
    I knw this is old, but recently bought a 187 and had the same thing happen to me- got down the road and saw cushion coming up. I am glad I saw it in time to pull over and stow it and port side in back of the truck. Other than lashing, I have been trying to see if anyone came up with a different idea to keep them in place instead of pulling them out each time. Thanks.