Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Problem filling SD2400 with gas

davidchantf
davidchantf Member Posts: 2
2015 SD2400 Outboard, when filling up gas, I need to fill it very slow otherwise will overflow, I did manage to fill 20G for more than 40 mins, it drives me crazy.
I searched this forum, google and found it is common issues to Hurrican boat, any idea how to fix and do I need to bring it to dealer ?
I brought the boat from private owner, and not sure any dealer in Annapolis MD area.
Thanks.
David

Comments

• TREIFEL
    TREIFEL Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2016 SD2400. It has fuel fill caps on both sides. If I open both caps I can pump fuel in the starboard side a full flow but the port side will not accept gas. I tried the owners manual but no mention of the fuel system. It would not surprise me that the port side is just a vent. Can someone please verify? Thank you! 
  • jaxcc19
    jaxcc19 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 19 CC and have the same issue with filling the tank. I get about 4 gallons in my 40 gallon tank and the gas starts flowing out where the gas goes in. Did you find any resolution?
  • sullmate
    sullmate Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    open the vent fully. (mine is to the side of the gas cap). This helps somewhat, This is a pita.
  • antonjp
    antonjp Member Posts: 1
    When I first purchased my boat, I had the exact same problem. I fixed it by blowing compressed air into the fuel vent. I read on another forum that salt builds up on the screen and prevents air flow. I find blowing on the screen occasionally helps too. I get pressure build up between 3/4 and full and I usually just pull the gas hose out to relieve pressure then all is good. 
    Good luck!
  • DinghyDave
    DinghyDave Member Posts: 1
    New to me 2014 Hurricane SunDeck 2400 fule vent.  What a surprise going to get fuel and was unable to put any fuel in the tank after 15 minutes of trying, even with marina assistance.  I was told that Hurricane was notorius for this.  I will try to blow out the vent.  I assume that is the round cap next to the gas cap.  Remove cover and blow with compressed air? 
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Below is a copied response I gave on this subject from a similar post.  This problem is NOT specific to Hurricanes, it is with every boat manufacturer that was required to install a new EPA mandated diurnal fuel system from 2012 to 2019.  Remember, boat manufacturers don't make the fuel systems, they buy and install them from fuel system manufacturers.  The problem is there are now more components involved in your fuel system, which increases the chances for one or more of the parts to fail.

Here's the copied post that explains everything:  

OK, where to begin (I apologize cause this will probably be a bit long and more info than you wanted), this problem exists with not just boats from Hurricane, its any boat manufactured from 2011 to 2019 and it has to do with new EPA mandates (our government at work) on marine fuel tanks and how they now have to not allow hydrocarbons into the air.  Boat manufacturers purchase fuel systems from fuel system manufacturers.  These manufacturers designed the EPA compliant fuel systems for boat manufacturers to use on their boats.  Prior to 2011, fuel systems were vented at the or near the cap, allowing hydrocarbons (gas fumes) into the air.  The new system is a sealed system capturing and processing hydrocarbons, this system is more complicated and adds more parts (which, of course, adds more points of failure).

2010 and Earlier Vented Fuel System

2011 and Later Diurnal Fuel System

Slow fueling and splash-back problems can often come from a venting issue – common with with the inlet control valve – P-trap or fill.  Also, you cannot fill these tanks completely as they have an air gap purposely designed in them to allow for expansion.  Sometimes the Carbon Canisters can also get clogged, but that is usually with older boats

Here's a link to a pretty good video on the subject from Perko: https://www.perko.com/sstv_video/sstv_fuelsystems/

Now comes the update, the diurnal system has been modified on the 2020 model year boats to a less complicated design (welcome to the slow motion of government change):

Hopes this clears the air on this issue

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer