Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Adding larger GPS unit to Hurricane SD 2400

Good morning, anyone have experience adding a larger GPS unit to 2014 Sun Deck 2400 or similar?  I have the Lowrance Elite 4 helm mounted but it's a little small for me.  Thanks.

Answers

• GatorJohn
    GatorJohn Member Posts: 6
    Also want to go to larger GPS on SD 2400, did you have any luck? 
  • cpufixer1
    cpufixer1 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭

I removed the gauge panel and then removed all the gauges. Took panel to local plastic manufacture and had him make me a new panel that would fit a Garmin ( I think it's 7" )  Worked and looks great. He probably has the template if you want to call him. http://www.marineplasticfab.com/

• GatorJohn
    GatorJohn Member Posts: 6
    Do you have pic of result, want to do something similar but unsure all old gages will fit without changing them all.
  • rawpowersd2400
    rawpowersd2400 Member Posts: 3
    I added a new Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 74CV to my 2014 SD 2400. It is the 7 inch display, way better than the cheap Elite4. First there is the larger screen, better maps, water temp and better depth readings. I also connected my Yamaha 250 motor to my GPS unit via NMEA 2000 connection. I eliminated the speedo from the dash because the GPS gives you your speed and trip information. The Garmin also gives you engine gauges, Voltage, RPM, Fuel flow, Fuel level, Fuel usage, engine temperature and oil pressure. The panel was made by A D & D (their address and contact information is at the bottom of the pictures), they did a great job and priced fair, Talk to Joe or Isabella. I am VERY happy the way it turned out. The picture does not show the true color, it is like a gray/silver metallic looking material that goes well with the existing switch panels.

A D&D Plastics Corp
    901 NE 27th Lane Ste 1
    Cape Coral FL
    239-772-9515

A D&D Plastics Corp
    901 NE 27th Lane Ste 1
    Cape Coral FL
    239-772-9515

• jzabala
    jzabala Member Posts: 5
    I know this is an old thread, but can you tell me the transducer type you used when you replaced the Lowrance with the Garmin? I am interested in doing the same, but want to keep the thru hull type transducer if possible.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    It's always a roll of the dice to see if the post-er of an old thread will respond to questions.  The chances are greater if you personal message, even then you may or may not get a response.  Always better to start a new post and reference a previous thread.

I will comment that the above Garmin unit mentioned has ClearVu imaging technology that probably will not work with the thru-hull transducer that serves your current depth gauge.  You would have to use a transducer that works with that technology. 

Here's a link to Garmin's "Transducer Selection Guide) if you're interested:
    https://www8.garmin.com/marine/PDF/transducer_selection_guide.pdf
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• SWFLboater22
    SWFLboater22 Member Posts: 4
    Good morning all, it has been some time since I visited this site from my last post.  What I decided to do was add a Garmin echoMAP 70 series GPS/Plotter on a pedestal mount at the helm station.  The pedestal mount provides adjustable viewing angles when sitting or standing.  This also allowed me to keep the factory installed Lowrance GPS as back up.  I was a little worried that the installation location might interfere a little with passing from the helm area to the forward bow seating but that has not been an issue.  I'm not sure what the transducer model is that was part of the installation but have included a picture.  I  think the total package including the pedestal mount and installation was about $1000.  It's worked out great for me and hope this helps.  Capt Bob
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time to give the forum the update Capt Bob!  
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• jzabala
    jzabala Member Posts: 5
    Wow.  You guys rock! This is so helpful. Very much appreciated. 
  • ryanjbill15
    ryanjbill15 Member Posts: 4
    Did you get rid of the Trim gauge when adding the 7" GPS? Does the Garmin display it?