Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

etec merc or yam

I am buying a new 188 with 150 engine. The dealer offers etec, yamaha, and merc. Want etec but worried about the 2 stroke in the future.

Comments

• BAR42
    BAR42 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    I have a SS-188-OB coming soon and had the same dilemma.  I was very interested in the E-Tec 135 but neither dealer in my area would sell the boat to me with that engine.  
    Hence, I went with the relatively new Merc 150Hp 4-stroke.  Ease of maintenance, low weight (only 55 lb more than the 115Hp), physically smallish, lower part count than all of the others (SOHC - 2 valve per cylinder but 3.0L displacement) = good reliability... I hope  
    But a few thousand $s extra.  :-(

Can't wait to get on the water.
  • rockymax
    rockymax Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I have owned all makes of outboards. I had a 250 Yamaha on my '08 237SD and had the powerhead replaced under warranty. That is the only problem that I have ever had with any outboard. I now have a 196 with a 150 e-tec. I prefer the e-tec due to the low end torque, the fuel economy and the significantly less routine maintenance. Ask your dealer which engine he prefers and why. That will probably help your decision since he should not have a monetary bias among the three. (I would ask him if he does have any incentive in recommending one over the other}
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I assume your concern is related to future emissions standards and the two-stroke's fate.  I believe California was the first state to address two-stroke emissions and launched a two-stroke ban effort.  But it seems that some good sense may have prevailed as they have modified their standards.  Here's a link to the current situation (not as bad as you might think):

The Evinrude currently shows a 3 star CARB rating and the Mercury Verado 150 model shows a 2 star rating, the Yamaha (I love Yamaha everything, especially their air induction technology!) has a 3 star CARB rating.  So the emissions on the two-stroke don't seem to be as much of an issue to me.  Maintenance will be lower on the two-stroke by just not having to change engine oil over time (although the Evinrude two-stroke oil can be a bit pricey) and it will be lighter engine which can have a positive effect on an under 20-21 ft boat. 

All those manufacturers you listed are all good quality motors and their warranties seem to all be 3 year.  My experience with a two-stroke was with a 2000 90hp Evinrude with Ficht oil injection.  I loved that motor, it jumped alive every time, had no two-stroke "smell" especially when trolling, and just overall ran great.  I currently have a Mercruiser 5.0L I/O and am very impressed with it's performance.  One of the reasons I chose this engine was because of the large Mercury Dealer network and parts availability.  I figured no matter what body of water I decided to use, there would be a Mercury Dealer on or near it.

So if you like feel the feature/technology benefits lean more the E-TEC, I say boldly go with it!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• MNDaveC
    MNDaveC Member Posts: 24
    Given the cruising role of a Hurricane, I'd have to lean towards a 4-stroke for lower noise and longevity of running extra hours at low rpm's.  

I just got a 203 with a 150 Yammy... my first Yamaha. I don't get whiplash out of the hole like my old 2-stroke Optimax could deliver (on a smaller fishing boat), but I'm up on plane in no time. I do like the lower noise of the 4-stroke.

On the 188, any 150 will get you hustling!
  • sirbuilder99
    sirbuilder99 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Get the E-Tec, best engine out there.  Merc is doing catch up.
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Get the E-Tec, best engine out there.  Merc is doing catch up.
    My .02. 

Evinrude makes a great motor, no doubt about it. And I would buy one if a boat came with it. The best? I don't know about that. 

I will say this. I've sold two boats in the last two years ( a pontoon and a FD196), one of the most common questions I got from people when replying to the ad..Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? When I replied 4 stroke all of them replied back in a positive way. 

For me personally ease of resale is important. And there are still enough folks out there with preconceived ideas about 2 strokes that would make them stay away, no matter how much explaining you do. You'll never have to make excuses for a 4 stroke Yamaha. 
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • Aussie_B
    Aussie_B Member Posts: 2
    On my previous boat I ran a pair of 175 suzukis which I chose for a new fit up after a great deal of research. 4 years on not an issue and would easy choose the same again if new motor was needed on current boat. They are the most popular here in Australia by far and more new boats are fitted with them here than any other brand.
  • levmac
    levmac Member Posts: 11
    ok...this is my two cents.  I recently sold my 18 ft with 90 ETEC.  I loved the motor, quiet, ran great, hardly any smell. all around great motor with plenty of power as long as boat was not overloaded with people.  Just purchased 2013 211 with 150 4 stroke.  have not had it in the water but twice.  seems nice, very quiet, no smoke. plenty of power.  before I purchased I struggled on which motor to go with also.  bottom line came down to where could I have my service done and warranty work if needed.  a service tech told me that at this point in the game, all three, merc, yama, evinrude all make good motors, find one that you can get worked on and not have to drag too far to get it done.  my area in florida...no one has evinrude etecs, all merc or yama.  that's why I went with yama.  as far as oil consumption, I do not think if the amount of oil an etec uses for 100 hrs is as much money as a 100 hr service on a yama... so etec would be cheaper I guess in long run.  hope that helps
  • RuddsRetreat
    RuddsRetreat Member Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was looking for a quality used boat that was well taken care of, no matter 2 stroke or 4 stroke, if it wasn't maintained well it doesn't really matter.  If you can find a quality well maintained used boat you buy it and don't be concerned about 2 or 4 stroke.  Only if you are buying new go 4 stroke because that is the future.   I am running a Mercury EFI 150 hp on my 2004 well maintained  GS211 and can not be any happier.
  • waterboy
    waterboy Member Posts: 16 ✭✭

I have the e-tec 175, 3 years old.  I am in Ontario so there are lots of authorized dealers here which made the decision easier.  I love my motor.  Quiet, great on fuel with tons of power. I have neighbours on both sides with Merc's and they love there motors.  I think they are all winners now.

ss 188 ob

175 E-tec

• cpufixer1
    cpufixer1 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    I just bought a 2014 SD2000 and it had an Evinrude 150 on it. I was hesitant about it at first but after four months of owning it I would never buy a four stroke. 80lbs lighter, quiet, no smoke and NO maintence for three years. Yes you have to buy oil, but you do not have to take the boat out of service each to change the oil year. Also great on oil and gas. Go to a dealer that will sell you one with an Evinrude. I live in NY and bought the boat in FL
  • Texgirl
    Texgirl Member Posts: 14
    cpufixer1 said:
    I just bought a 2014 SD2000 and it had an Evinrude 150 on it. I was hesitant about it at first but after four months of owning it I would never buy a four stroke. 80lbs lighter, quiet, no smoke and NO maintence for three years. Yes you have to buy oil, but you do not have to take the boat out of service each to change the oil year. Also great on oil and gas. Go to a dealer that will sell you one with an Evinrude. I live in NY and bought the boat in FL
    I am looking to buy our first boat.. hurricane 218 ob... we are trying one on the water 150 hp suzuki but I am afraid it is not enough power.. its a 2020.  Today I happened across a new left over 2018 still on show room floor 217 basicially same boat with windsheild... it has evinrude e tec 225!  I dont love the color and its still pricey for being a left over 2018 maybe due to the engine.. just trying to see which is better I have read differing opinions.. some seem to think evinrude is bad.. others love them!!  any advice appreciated.
  • FLboat
    FLboat Member Posts: 4
    BRP recently announced it will no longer manufacture E-Tec engines. I don't know if I would buy an engine that is no longer being produced. Here's the announcement,  http://news.brp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/brp-advances-marine-strategy-focusing-boats-and-new-technologies

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Good info, thanks for sharing with the forum.

Too bad, Evinrude had a very good product.  Hate to see a longtime name with an equal history go away.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer