Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2001 237 Deckboat Question New Owner

jstatham
jstatham Member Posts: 6
Hello everyone I recently purchased a 2001 237 deck boat and took it on its maiden voyage today and we absolutely loved it. I did run into a few issues and have a few questions.  

#1. My fuel gauge is not working properly. As soon as I turn the key on it goes straight to full and does not move.  I checked the ground from the sending unit to the battery and it seems ok. Does anyone have the proper procedure to test the sending unit and gauge.

#2.  I see a switch for a live well but don't actually see a live well on the boat or even a thrullhull pump to bring in lake water in. I turn it on and hear nothing. Is this just an extra switch or am I missing something? Would be nice to know before I start tearing everything apart and tracing wires.

#3.  Bilge not working but I know how to test it just have to access it tomorrow and make sure the pump is good.

#4. Fresh water system does not work.  I turn on the switch that says water and nothing happens and I don't hear anything.  I found the pump in the rear but I have not had a chance to test it.  I am assuming when the water pump is on the sprayers should work. I also filled the tank before I left for the lake so is there a drain for the tank somewhere?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. 

Best Answer

Answers

• piney
    piney Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    #4  Yes-- pump on and sprayer(s) work-sink and wash off at rear. Its not pressurized-- just pumped.  No drain on tank :-(  
  • jstatham
    Thanks do you know how the bait tank is fed water?
  • piney
     Live well- Mine has a pump at the stern.  Intake is covered by a plastic box with slots.  However- I've yet to get it to work.  Pump runs.  Water path is clear as I can force water from the stern fitting into the box live well-- just no pumping water.  I'll take a closer look.  Posts here indicate the pump may loose its prime .  Reverse should force water into the pump, priming it.  No luck with that on mine.
  • jstatham
    Well I has able to test and determine the gauge was good and the sending unit was the problem.  So while taking the sending unit off I accidentally took off the center bolt (I could hardly see and going by feel) and it dropped the whole sending unit in the tank.  I tried everything I could think of and I cannot feel it or hear it.  I tried wire, coat hangers, grabbers, magnets etc.  It is probably stainless so the magnets were useless so know what should I do.  Say forget it and just put in a new sending unit or does someone have a magical way to fish it out.  It started pouring rain before I could get to the other issues.
  • jstatham
    I went back out after the rain and both the bilge and the water pump for the fresh water are bad. I am still trying to deal with the fuel sending unit and the livewell pump mystery.  I did see an extra set of wires by the bilge pump and if i had to guess they are for the livewell pump that does not exist.
  • piney
    Pumps bad-- as in neither will run or neither will  pump ?  Sometimes, these types of pumps' seals will  dry out (or crack).  I have a couple of tank sprayers with similar pumps.  When not used for a couple of seasons, "soaking" their insides with water got them working again.  Tractor supply has similar pumps for tanks that may work.
  • jstatham
    Thanks.  The pump is bad for sure.  When I took it apart the motor was completely rusted. I found one on amazon for about 70 but will check out Tractor Supply.  DO you know the fuel tank capacity and the Fresh water tank capacity?
  • piney
    I believe the freshwater tank on mine is 14-15gal  I seem to recall the gas tank is 50 gal or so.  If I find the info and its different I'll add a note
  • jstatham
    Thanks for the info.  I now just need more time to use it! It is a great family boat.