Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Hurricane ss231 F150 or F200

kkness2
kkness2 Member Posts: 1
I'm looking to buy a new ss231 (2016) The boat I'm looking into has a f150 on it already . Is the extra money  worth going to the f200 ?    

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Without question, yes..... here's why.

That boat as a MAX HP rating of 300HP.  You're at 50% of maximum capacity.  If you load that boat up with folks and are out cruising you'll be very slow to get on plane and running at a higher RPM on the motor.

Typical rule of thumb I use for engine sizing.  For general purpose boating, cruising or fishing, 60-75% of the Max HP rating is what you should purchase.

If you want to use it for watersports, etc then 85-100% of the Max HP rating. 

The variances allows for few passengers vs fully loaded.  So you need to know how you plan to use your boat.

Also, if you run a 150HP engine at 5000+RPMs to cruise around, but are at 3500RPMs for a 200HP to do the same, the larger engine will consume similar to less fuel as its running in a lower RPM range so don't equate extra HP to extra fuel consumption.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Buy the biggest motor you can afford, way better for cruising if you only need to use half the power, when I re-powered one of my old boats going from a 135hp to 225hp the bigger motor used 1/2 the fuel the smaller one did.