Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

New Radio Install

Good morning guys/gals. Well so far to date, this forum has helped me and taught me some really cool stuff, so thank you. I do have a new project I would like to start but I am having some cold feet. I have a 2008 Hurricane SD 220. The Kenwood radio is in the bathroom area and I have a Kenwood commander at the helm that controls the radio. I am looking to upgrade my radio to a newer Bluetooth type Kenwood. I have never replaced a radio but I was wondering if I could still use the existing wiring harnesses being it is the same name brand radio. I wouldn't mind a quick swap of the radio and commander for the helm using the same wiring from the older unit. Any ideas or advise guys???? Thanks in advance. Happy Easter to all !

Comments

• skibum
    skibum Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Compare the wiring harness and look at the manual to check the wiring colors vs pin out. But most same brand decks use the same connections except for higher end alpine units in my experience.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @skibum.   Being a Kenwood for Kenwood, the pin outs should be pretty much the same with the same harness.  Do a compare and if they match you may not need to rewire any of these.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • nprcoolcop380
    nprcoolcop380 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Thanks guys. I got a hunch you are right !!
  • Walter52
    Walter52 Member Posts: 1
    @skibum do you have xp with alpine stereos? Would you recommend them?
    Sorry for being off topic.

I'm looking for a good stereo and my vote will be on the Alpine.

Now I was trying to gather as much info as possible but most review blogs are junk.
    I mean they are hyping and when I've checked out some actual customer reviews the
    difference is huge.

Along with my journey in review land I came across a different site. It seems to be the real deal. I mean it harshly criticizes the flaws that each brand has. This has put me on the fence.For example there's a review about Alpine ILX-w650 satellite receiver. I was eyeing this headunit.

How bad is that slow startup? Does it take 20s to boot up? What about the value for the money?

Any insights are highly appreciated

• NathanBush
    NathanBush Member Posts: 1
    Hi Walter,
    Yes, I have great experience with the car stereos. Mainly, I works as an Auto Technician and I've installed single din and double din head units in hundreds of cars from the past few years. Honestly, Alpine head units works great for long time but I've also seen more better recommendations for double din head units at Speakers Hunter. But, it also depends how much you are going to spend for it. Usually, you can get a good double din head unit within a range of $300-$500. From my experience, I would recommend you to go for Pioneer's double din head units.