Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Fuel Guage not registering. How to diagnose?

On my "new" to me 2007 FD GS20 OB there is a combo fuel and voltmeter gauge.  The voltmeter works, but the fuel does not. Needle registers E.  I know it could be the gauge, the sender, a connection, or a fuse, but I don't know how to figure out which it is.  How do I diagnose the problem?  For that matter I do not know where the fuel tank is on this boat.  Obviously I know where to put the fuel in, but not where the tank and sender are? Thanks for any help or advice.

Answers

• Txmat
    Txmat Member Posts: 17
    Still looking for the fuel sender.  I have looked at some videos on YouTube and have an idea of how to diagnose the problem.  But i need to locate the sender to check it out.  Also what is the best way to get to the fuel gauge.  Should I remove all the screws holding the dash in or take out the foot well under the dash?  Are is there yet another way that is better?
  • 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with your model but you need to find the fuel tank, sender is in the top of the tank, there should be a access hole in the floor to get to it.
  • Txmat
    Thanks Checkmate.  That is the problem.  I don't know where the fuel tank is. There is an access port (about 6" in diameter) on the side near the gas cap.  I looked in it, but could not see where the fill pipe goes.  I can't see any other access hole in the area.  This is near the helm seat.  I suppose the tank could be under the seat.  However to remove it seems like it would be a chore.  I am hoping someone with knowledge of the boat will be able to tell me where the tank is and how to get to the sender.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Just to be clear, it looks like your model is missing one digit.  Do you  have a GS 201 or GS 202?

Also, do you have an outboard or I/O model?
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Txmat
    I am sorry.  It is a 202 and it is an outboard
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. that helps!

Usually the fuel tank is centrally located to keep the boat balanced.

I see there may be an access plate on the deck directly behind the helm seat on some year models.  If you have carpeting, check under it and see if you have one there.  

If not, two other places you may want to check. Open the ski locker door and  look in the rear area of the locker for an access panel there.  The other place that might give you access is to open/remove the port side rear seat cushion and see if there is an access panel in there.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Txmat
    Thanks cjjjdeck. There is an access port behind the helm seat as shown in the picture. The tank appears to run from about there toward the stern. However I do not see the sensor. There are two hoses, one of which I assume is the intake.  There does appear to be a small rectangular something mounted to the top of the tank. It is covered in a tape or fabric that looks like duct tape. The tape is stuck down really good and the whole thing seems to have a very strong adhesive holding it on the tank. At first I thought it must be the sensor, but then realized I can not see any electrical wires attached to this thing.  Do you or anyone else know where the fuel sensor is located?
  • rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Is there a porta potti area under the center rear seat? If so there should be an access plate there that will allow access to the top of the fuel tank and that is where the sender is located.
    Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection
  • Suzook
    Suzook Member Posts: 42
    Not sure if my message went thru to you. So, check out my fuel sender post just above your post maybe there is something there to help you. Just an FYI greatlakesskiper.com is where I found my combo gauges. It's an easy swap just be careful to disconnect batt, mark wires, and be aware there is very little excess wiring when you tilt the instrument panel. If your boat is configured like mine the sender is in a hellish place just fwd of the ski pole see my pic. Lastly check the steering hose I found mine was kinked (folded in half).

2005 GS 202 '06 Yamaha 150

2005 Tennessee Tandem Trailer

• Txmat
    Thank you Suzook