Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

SS231 Trolling motor install discussion and questions

njm130
njm130 Member Posts: 10
I just bought a 2014 SS 231 Want a trolling motor. I was recommended the Minn Kota Riptide ST with 112lb thrust and 60" shaft ($1830, plus batteries, battery trays, battery charger, mounting bracket, and install).  I want spot lock and i-Pilot features.  Here is what I found out so far...

- 80lbs thrust is bare minimum, 100+ recommended.  Reason, 80lbs thrust is good up to about a 4000lb boat. Add fuel/water/gear/people and I'm at 4500-5000lbs. I want spot lock effective in decent current so I need 100+ thrust.  One owner with a 20' hurricane and 80# thrust likes it but does not use it for trolling or spot lock in current.  He sees only 2.5 mph.  Minn Kota rates the 112# thrust motor good for a 23' boat up to 7kts.   

- fishing package pre-wiring is good enough for 36v system, but you need 3 deep cycle 12v batteries for the 100+ lb thrust motor (2 batteries for 24v, 80# thrust) and a separate cranking battery.  I am hoping to use my trolling batteries as house batteries as well to avoid a 5 battery set up. Issues with that?  Wiring 3 12v batteries in series gives 36v so does that run too much power to the other components? Do I need to leave the trolling motor batteries separate?

- 54" shaft will work fine for the GS/SS 211/231 since the bow is low, but the 112# Minn Kota only comes in 60" shaft length.  Some installers can cut the shaft down or you can live with a long trolling motor.  

- Mounting options are limited.  Hurricane did not design the bow well for a trolling motor.  I have seen many pics with people mounting them straight through the bow opening step but my model has the anchor locker and a fishing chair there.  Also, when stowed it will be in the way of people sitting in the bow area.  I would prefer to mount it along the bow angle to maintain access to the anchor locker and fishing chair without deploying the motor to get to the anchor.  If I mount it straight I have to remove the seat and deploy the motor to get to the anchor.  The angle from the bow swim step to the rub rail causes a decent overhang requirement for the trolling motor mount and limits the angle mounting options as well.  Also, I want the motor safely stowed out of the way when docking but it has to clear the rub rail too.  This is my biggest problem and suggestions are greatly aporeciated.  I think I might need to fabricate a custom mount.

- Hummingbird 899 units are being discontinued for the new Helix line and are a great value right now and a more capable unit according to a Bass Pro Marine Electronics expert.  They pair with the Minn Kota for A/P and spot lock features.  

- Some Hurricane owners see a listing problem with multiple batteries on one side.  The SS231 has the water tank on the opposite side and can be filled for a counter ballast.  I don't expect this to be a big issue with four batteries.  

Any other issues I'm missing? Suggestions?
2014 SS 231 w/Yamaha 200 

Comments