Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Porpoising

Options
wjh42
wjh42 Member Posts: 2
i have a 188 fun deck with 150 hp Yamaha motor, this boat will porpoise on a ripple. Just purchased the boat a  couple of months ago and asked the dealer about using trim tabs no response. It makes no difference how you trim the motor. I like to figh the St. John's river ( Florida) which can become rough and the 188 will beat you to death. Any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Welcome to the Owners Forum!

There are a good many members that have installed trim tabs and most have been very happy with the results.  I'm sure some members will respond, but there are a good number of posts and threads on the subject on the forum.  Just type "trim tabs" in the search box above and you'll see a list.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A good option is a set of TH marine negative trim transom wedges, I've installed them on many boats with great success, they are pretty cheap, around $45 and work great, I prefer them over trim tabs, they add 5 degrees of negative tuck to your engine, install is easy, just remove engine mounting bolts and slide them Between the engine and transom and re-install bolts.
  • miknif
    miknif Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't know or want to assume your skill level, but I had the same challenge with my 2007 Fundeck.  I'm on a lake in Missouri that has some rough waters in certain areas and I hired a local captain to take me out for some hints.  I learned that with control of speed and often lower trim than I would expect the porpoising has all but gone away.  I read the trim tab threads in the past for this and was getting ready to buy them until I get some additional experience and can control it better.  Good luck and if you find the trim tabs work it would be great to hear your feedback.
  • wjh42
    wjh42 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I have messing with boats all my life ( old fart) off shore fishing, river etc. I have trimmed my engine in ever possible position and she still porpoises. Talked with the dealer, he recommended a set of trim tabs. Lot of weight in the back of the boat, motor,fuel.water, people. Thanks folks 
  • steveshirley
    steveshirley Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I installed a ventilation plate that is in the shape of a dolphin tail and then I trim up or down or increase or decrease my speed until we are smooth sailing....it seems to correct this problem quickly.......hope this helps!