Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Volts gauge not working Hurricane SD 195

maxbird
maxbird Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
I have a 195 Sundeck with Faria analog gauges.  The combination fuel/volts gauge works for the fuel side but the volts side needle doesn't move.  I pulled the connector under the dash and sprayed it with electrical cleaner but still no response for volts.   I think it's probably the gauge.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot and where I can get a wiring diagram?

Answers

• sullivjw
    sullivjw Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 2007 237 w/225 Yahama OB.  I checked all connectors and fuses with no help.  I have a dual purpose battery which was down to 12.4v when I got home the last time out. It appears the battery is not being charged, but I don't know how to check that since I can't find a schematic like so many others.  I'm surprised that this post has not been answered or commented on!  Help!!!
  • M99
    M99 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭

You can easily check if your charging system (Alternator / Regulator and wiring) is working by buying a simple VOM (Volt / Ohm meter) at any Auto Parts store for about $20.  With the engine running at around 1200 or so RPM, check the voltage right at the battery terminals.  It should be at least 13V DC and should go up to around 14.4V maximum as the rpm is increased. If it runs in that range, than your charging system is working fine and you just need to figure out why your Volt meter is not working. If it is out of that range, high means you have a bad Regulator.  Low could be Alternator, Regulator, bad wire or even a corroded connection.  You have to trace it back wire by wire.  Don't just start replacing parts.

A fully charged battery, with the engine off and all electrical off, should read around 13.2VDC.  1.1 Volt per cell, x 12 cells is where that 13.2V comes from.

• maxbird
    maxbird Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    In addition to the volts gauge,my Lowrance fish finder displays volts.  It read around 14 volts under way so the charging system was OK.  I called Faria and they said since the fuel gauge was working, it was the volts side of the gauge that was bad since they both used a common power wire.  I was able to order an identical multi-function gauge from Great Lakes Skipper, installed it and now it works.  As a bonus, the fuel side of the gauge seems to be more stable.
  • Hurricane0826
    Hurricane0826 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Thank you for this additional feedback.
  • Len
    Len Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar problem but the replacement gauge from Great Lakes has different connectors. Any thoughts?