Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

problems wait a 188ss i/o

brandon3600
brandon3600 Member Posts: 6
Am new but wanted to know how many problem you have had with the engine and also how much factory issue have y'al had with the body and swim idea deck I just bought a 2014 and am having all these problem and it only has 5 hours on it also there is no hour or voltage gauge any help I would greatly take only owned boat for 7 day and already had to take it back to the the dealshipe

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Owners Forum!

Just to be sure, you have a 2014 SunDeck Sport 188 I/O.

I have some of questions.

What motor and drive do you have with your boat?

What is going wrong with your motor?

What is happening with your swim deck/platform that you need to bring it to the dealer?

Even though you don't have an hour meter on your dashboard, your motor's engine control processor will keep track of the engine hours as well.  A marine technician can always get that information when you service the boat.  You can also have one installed on the dash panel as well.  You may want to ask the dealer about that while he has your boat if you feel that option is important. 
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• brandon3600
    it is a 2014 sundeck sport I/O with a 4.3 MPI and I think it has a ALPHA 1 on it you can put around 800 pounds in the boat and it takes over a (min) to plane out the dealer has already tried changing the factory 23 prop off and put a 21 on it and it made it worse. as for the swim deck it wasn't put on level it is about a 1/4" off were it is mounted and make it about 2 to 3" off on the end if you stand at the back of the boat it looks like the boat is setting side ways as for me talking about the hour meter it is a standard option for this boat and it wasn't installed how would you feel if you bought a new boat and it didn't have all the standard options installed in the boat I know the dealer ship can tell you the hour but it is the fact that you bought the boat with that option and it's not there I guess you could say am just upset with the purchase right now since I really haven't been able to use the boat as I was hoping to
  • cjjjdeck
    It's frustrating for you and for us members to hear another owner having issues like you describe, as the majority of Hurricane owners (including myself) are very happy with their boats.

As upset as you are (and we would be too), you are doing the right thing.  Any issue I've ever had with my boat that was under warranty, Hurricane had no problem fixing them.

Please keep us updated on your progress and hope they get it fixed quickly so you can start enjoying your boat. 

• 1pointofview
    1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    i bought a 2013 188ss. It had about 8 hours on it before all my electronics went out.  There was some sort of leak under the console and it corroded and shorted out most of the console.  I limped through the rest of the boating season and then dropped the boat off to the dealer for about a month during the winter and i have had no issues since.  They did have to do a lot of re-wiring.  The only issue I had after they rewired is for some reason they did not replace the power relays and I replaced them and have been good since.

Boat ownership means you have to be a jack of many trades to keep it up and working 100% or a jack with deep pockets to pay for someone to keep it up :).  

But while my boat was under warranty, I had no issue with service work..  
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • brandon3600
    Am going to get the boat the dealer ship said they got the engine problem fixed they said it was the wrong prop from the factory and put a 5 blade 17" on it we are going to the lake tomorrow and try it out as for the other stuff we are going to get it fixed after the summer as for the prop has any body ever had to go from a 23" 3 blade to a 17" 5 blade to make the boat plane out
  • donmat
    donmat Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    The 4.3 Mercruiser should blow the 188 out of the water with no problem. You can also look into Smart tabs which help tremendously with hole shot. They are relatively inexpensive. There are a lot of  discussions on here about them.
  • brandon3600
    The 17" 5 blade worked had around 900 pounds in the boat and from setting to planeing out it took 2sec the down fall was max speed now is 40 but I can deal with that as long as we can go out now and have fun pulling tubers and skier with a loaded boat
  • cjjjdeck
    That's good news brandon!  I would give up top end speed for better hole shot and quicker planing too.  It will also perform better with a full load of occupants and/or gear.