Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trolling motor battery setup

2003 GS211, came with full fishing package, including 2 "cranking batteries" in port aft battery locker, including a Pemco switch, therefore I presume either one of the batts can be selected for cranking. I put a voltmeter on the factory bow mounted trolling motor power receptacle and can get only 12V out of two different pins, therefore I presume only 1 of the existing batts was wired to front, assuming that a 12V trolling motor would be used?  Installing a bow mount 24V trolling motor.  
-Back in '03 was that typical with the fishing package.. Wired only for 12V?
-If that's the case then presumably the existing wiring might not be sufficient guage for 24V?
I DO have room in port aft batt area to add a 3rd Batt (possible listing problem acknowledged).  Existing postings on this forum concerning actual mounting of the trolling motor have been most helpful. Any ideas on best way to proceed with the electrics??
Thanks!

Comments

• MikeP
    MikeP Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    The cranking batteries need to be wired parallel, so even if the switch is set to dual only 12 volts will be output.  This is probably why the voltmeter is showing 12 volts. Cranking batteries are not ideal for a trolling motor, you need deep cycle batteries wired in series to output the correct voltage.  In your case, two deep cycle marine batteries wired in series to output 24 volts.  Also, I would keep my trolling motor system separate from my cranking system.  I have a SS 231 and was able to fit 5 batteries total in the aft battery compartment.  3 for the 36 volt trolling motor (size 24M because they have the smallest footprint) and then the 2 cranking batteries that came with the boat.  Hope this info was helpful.
    2014 SS 231 w/ Yamaha F250
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    The plug voltage will yield whichever you decide to go with, 12 volt or 24 volt, based on how you wire up the system from the battery end.  The wiring that has been installed will have no problem handling 12 or 24 volts.  Here's some simple diagrams to go by that help describe what Mike P is talking about.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• timhannan
    timhannan Member Posts: 3
    Hi,  I am newbie and have 2004 Hurricane gs232.  I find this thread very helpful.  I am trying to decide on a trolling motor and see how this works.  My receptacle for the trolling motor has four pins.  Does that matter?  12V trolling motors go to a max of about 55lbs of thrust and 24V to 80lbs of thrust and I am wondering if 80lbs is enough?  I checked a sight and it said for 20+ feet and 4000 lb. boat to use 80.  Any suggestions?  Will the wiring and the outlet at the front support 36 volt battery?  Thanks for any help with this?  Tim
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    To help answer the "Will the wiring and outlet support 36 volt battery?" question, here's the wiring gauge chart out of the Minn Kota Terrova Owners Manual.

My wiring was sufficient to handle the 24 volts load and my batteries are just about to the transom.  Based on the chart for 36 volts, if your wire gauge is 8 AWG, you'll be good.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• MikeP
    @timhannon, I put a 112 pound thrust Minn Kota Riptide on my SS 231.  It works great.  At 4000 pounds, you are at the limit for a 80lb thrust motor.  My boat came wired with a Marinco 3 pin receptacle of which I only used 2 and I don't know why you would need more than that.  I mentioned the brand because you would probably need to look what brand yours is and get the matching plug.   I don't know what gauge the wiring is but it seems to be handling the 36 volts fine.  As far as a boat's actual weight I don't know the definitions of "dry weight" and "wet weight" but you also need to factor in fresh water tanks full of water, fuel, motor and passengers.  All that adds up pretty quick.
  • njm130
    njm130 Member Posts: 10
    MikeP, can you post pics of your trolling motor set up?  I'm looking to do the same with my 2014 SS 231.
    2014 SS 231 w/Yamaha 200 

• MikeP
    Pics are posted on page 4 of the "Love Your Hurricane?" thread.