Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Circuit Breaker Problem 2003 237

I have two circuit breakers popped, the live well and bilge pump.  Before I take apart the dash I was going to order new breakers.  I need to know the amp rating of the breakers.  I normally replace them all when they start to fail.  In this case before I trouble shoot the electrical problem I want to make sure I have good breakers.

Comments

• billyb
    billyb Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem, same breakers...... Curious what it is going to be.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Just double checked, Henry, both those circuit breakers are 5 amp. 
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• henry.burden
    henry.burden Member Posts: 4
    While I was going through the papers the previous owner gave me, I came across the original wiring diagrams (2003 Hurricane 237 and 217 outboards) and dash diagrams.  The amps for all the breakers are marked.  I have attached the entire packet.  I hope this helps some other owners.
  • HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Thanks for posting that.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• cjjjdeck
    Henry, you are absolutely awesome!

These diagrams are from Uniforce who has been out of business for some time.  The drawings you just posted are the ones I have been receiving from Hurricane, but the scanned images are too blurry to read and have not been helpful, nor does Hurricane have the originals to re-scan.

Thank you!!!!  These will be VERY appreciated as they are crystal clear!

• henry.burden
    henry.burden Member Posts: 4

To continue the electrical saga.  When I took off the top dash panel it broke in half.  I ordered new top and middle dash panels from A & D Plastics in Cape Coral, FL, I live in Fort Myers and they were done custom for me.  I put a Piranhamax 170 in the center dash, JVC remote to the left of the Tach.  All the gauges were shattered or corroded at the back of the panel.  I replaced all the breakers and all the gauges.  I replaced the Sony radio with a modern JVC, when I put it all back together, I had to wire the radio to ACC switch (which I replaced bad switch).  The new radio has no true off button so it was wired to switched power.  I found that the power to the breakers to be 12.7 volts and the power at the switches to be moving from 7.5 to 10.8 volts.  When I switched the VOM ground lead to another ground it read 12.7 (bad ground to switch panel).  I removed the cup holder panel to the right of the helm and found the wiring connectors to the dash.  I opened the connectors and sprayed them with contact cleaner and worked them together and off until I got consistent current readings. I wired the radio to a known good ground.  Now it all works.  Note for everyone using a VOM for continuity testing on the grounds, even if you get a tone the ground can be bad, once you put the circuit under load it will fail, and drive you crazy in the process.  If the ground has a corroded bad connection somewhere in the run sometimes it is better to run a new ground from the battery to a connection bus and rewire the grounds.  Been working on aged electrical wiring on boats for a lot of years.  It is a shame that the wiring is put together with push connectors and jumpers.  Hurricanes have quality wiring but especially in a salt water environment you get these high resistance and ground problems.  A little wordy but I hope this helps someone else. 

• cjjjdeck
    Awesome update Henry!

Could you post some pictures of the new dash panel installed?  Love to see how it came out!

• M99
    M99 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Just a quick tip regarding poor connections at various junctions or push connectors, instead of regular contact cleaner, after actually cleaning the connectors, buy a small bottle of "Stabilant 22". Use it on all connectors and pins.  Its expensive stuff, but really works to increase the conductivity of a connector and lasts a long time. I learned about that stuff at a Bell Helicopter mechanic seminar some years ago.  They said it fixed many of their electrical problems and they now consider it a standard operating procedure to use on all connectors.
  • runnl8
    runnl8 Member Posts: 3
    I would also like to see the pictures of the panel that was made at A&D in Cape Coral. I am in the process of purchasing all new item for a 2006 202 Fun Deck  and plan to call to tomorrow.  This has been a much harder project than I anticipated.  The forum has been a great help.  Thank you!