Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

CHANGING GEAR OIL

Options
BWH
BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
Would like to know the reasoning behind filling the gear oil from the bottom.  I am sure there is a reason, but I am  unaware of it.  I have a Suzuki DF150 and it has three holes in support of the gear oil; drain hole,  air vent hole and oil level hole.  Why doesn't this system work like normal oil, drain, replace drain plug, fill from above hole?  
Another oddity is it seems that all of the oil drain plugs I have seen are to be removed with standard slot screw drivers.  Seems like a poor design, but I could def be missing something.    

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Primarily it's to minimize the amount of air in the drive.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yup, gets all the air out, the holes are so small it would take forever to try and fill it from the top, once the oil comes out the top hole put the screw in the top and you won't lose much out the bottom while putting that screw in, and the standard slot screws work pretty good with the right screw driver, I see it all the time guys try to change their own gear oil and then bring it to the shop for me to do after they strip them, even then they are easy to get out with a hammer and chisel.