Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Yamaha 115 alarm

Options
My family and I were returning from our outing today and twice what sounded like the engine alarm sounded. No lights were on in conjunction with it, no visible signs of overheating or anything else wrong. Both times it stopped after I slowed down to idle speed. I am at 95 hrs so I am going to take in for 100 service.

Comments

• scottybrucker
    scottybrucker Member Posts: 8
    Options
    I just had a ss prop installed which I would not think could cause engine alarm?
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It looks like your engine has a couple of conditions that could activate the alert system:

1) Overheat Alert – If the engine temperature raises too high, this condition cuts the engine speed to 2000 rpm automatically and your overheat-alert indicator will light or blink (if you have one on the dash).  Often it may only be that the cooling water inlet may be obstructed (like with seaweed, plastic bag/debris etc.) or running the engine on plane at too high of trim so the water inlet is not submerged enough.
    2) Oil Level and Oil Filter Clogging Alert – If the oil level falls below its lower limit, this condition cuts the engine speed to 2000 rpm automatically and your oil level-alert indicator will light or blink (if you have one on the dash).

The Yamaha manual states the following:
    The alert for oil filter clogging is similar to the alerts for low oil level and overheating.  To make troubleshooting easier, check for engine overheating first, then oil level, and finally oil filter clogging.  There may be two separate oil filters, one located under the engine cover, the other located in-line near the bottom of the oil tank. 

I post this more for information purposes, I think you're on the right track getting the boat and motor to the Dealer.  Especially since you didn't state that the rpm's dropped automatically before you powered down to idle.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• scottybrucker
    Options
    Yes, the rpm did not drop at all by itself. I heard the alarm and slowed down myself. Thanks again!!
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please let us know what you find out!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• scottybrucker
    Options
    I found out it was low on oil, apparently dealer failed to fill up after first 100hr service!