Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Experience with Yamaha 200 HP Saltwater Series II 2 Stroke

mspears1
mspears1 Member Posts: 5
I just bought a 2000 SD 237 with 240 hours. It came equipped with a 200 HP Yamaha Salt Water Series II 2 stroke. It seems to run fine and has more than enough power.  It has that unpleasant two stroke odor when idling. The previous owner was using an off brand of oil, I am wondering if using Yamalube might help with the odors. I am having the boat professionally serviced after I pick it up next week but plan on doing future routine servicing myself. Anyone have experience with this motor? Any tips on keeping it up to snuff? Probably not the motor I would have picked if buying new, but it is what it is. Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Without smelling it, not sure how unpleasant I'd find it. 2 stroke smoke with quality oil smells like fun to me. Sort of associative conditioning, I guess. I hate diesel smoke, but my son likes it, because it smells like locomotives. Each to his own.

IMHO, Yamalube is not necessary, but I'd avoid the real cheap stuff, and of course TCW3. Check the lower unit oil occasionally; change it annually. Check the separator/filter occasionally for crud or water. Nice ride, hope you have a blast with it!
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Got a friend that has a big 2 stroke on his Bass boat.  He claims that Amsoil 2 stroke is the secret to no smoke or smell.  I know its more expensive than some alternatives.  You might look for synthetic brands that say low or no smoke and give them a try.  

Otherwise, you have a nice boat.  I like the 237 layout.  I almost bought one myself, but went a little smaller.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    I always found the odor of 2 stroke oil pleasant, reminiscent of sweaty days in a tin boat on some sweltering creek, so to each his own. One problem I have experienced was when a friend purchased the latest synthetic 2stroke oil for use in an older motor. The float switch in the oil tank showed empty due to lower specific gravity of the thinner oil: the float sank in it.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Ernest T said:

Otherwise, you have a nice boat.  I like the 237 layout.  I almost bought one myself, but went a little smaller.
    +1 on the SD237 layout! ;)
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    FlyingV5 said:
    I always found the odor of 2 stroke oil pleasant, reminiscent of sweaty days in a tin boat on some sweltering creek, so to each his own. 

Couldn't agree more..... I love the smell of my two stroke.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • HHP123
    HHP123 Member Posts: 13

mspears,

Since you are having the motor serviced ask the tech to check the oil injection settings.  At idle it should use next to none at all.  I have a '98 200 Yamaha and it makes a cloud on start up, after that it is fine.  I did have it serviced recently.

As an aside, the oil is cheap, it's the gasoline that disappears at an alarming rate!