Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Best engine for new Sundeck 2200 DC OB

cregeis1
cregeis1 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭

we are getting ready to order a new Sundeck 2200 DC OB.  I was thinking about going with a Yamaha 250 XCA because we ski, tube and  usually have a crowd on board.   I have seen some dealers selling them with the new Yamaha 4 cylinder 200HP and wondered if that had enough power to pull skiers, tubes effectively?  Please let me know which engine you have and if you would recommend it.  Thanks, Chris

Comments

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭

Can't say anything about those engines, but my older boat is similar, and the 2 stroke 150hp is sufficient for either a crowd or a few and a skier. Last night 2 of us and maybe 40 gallons of fuel ran on smooth water up to 41mph (when it was running right). Ideally, I'd like 200-225hp, to easily push a full load of people and stuff or maybe 7 and tow something. If it were me and I was buying new and if the fuel usage was within 10 or 20%, I'd probably go for the bigger engine. Ultimately, I'd probably opt for an engine with a record of few problems. Sometimes new designs are near perfect, but they often have teething problems.

David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• cregeis1

Do you have any problems pulling skiers? 

• dolfan1967
    dolfan1967 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭

Hey Chris, I can say I/we are are very happy w/our Yamaha 150. Just a couple weekends back, we had eight people on our boat for two outings. I was able to hit 40 according to our GPS for a stretch, but mostly putted around my usual 4200-4500 rpms (28-32mph water dependent). We don't pull skiers or tubes, but I have every confidence the 150 could handle it w/ease. As far as my fuel, I filled up last in June, We have seven outing on this tank, still good for one long or two short outing before I fill-up again.  We are usually under way for 1.2-1.7 hrs per outing. But to be clear, I am sure I would have no issues  w/ your engine.

Enjoy

2013 SD 2200 DC
    Yamaha 150 four-stroke
    Lowrance Elite-4 HDI
    Bow Cushion
    WindStorm trailering cover (tailored for bimini frame)
    Venture Tandem Bunk Trailer
  • cregeis1

Thanks for your responses! I currently have a 2004 Hurricane Sundeck 187 with a Yamaha 150 four stroke and it is great for cruising but has some trouble pulling skiers.  I think the 2200 is substantially bigger so I wonder if the new 200 hp Yamaha will be adequate.  As they say, there is no replacement for displacement.

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭

No problem with skier, but haven't tried it with a full boat. A big tube and a crowd do work, but then the initial oomph isn't really an issue. I suspect it's more about throttle response and low-rpm torque than maximum power, anyway. How do the torque curves of the engines compare? Also, I see a lot of people pulling skiers happy after changing to a more aggressive prop. It'll cost a few mph at the top, but they seem to like the extra "bite". When it comes to leisure, sometimes I make decisions based on not being disappointed. Which option might you be more disappointed in? A little higher initial+operating cost, or a little less power?

As dolfan said, Enjoy!

David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I'd go with the 250.  Reports I've seen on the new 200 engine put it just barely above the 150, with poorer fuel economy.  Always nice to have a few extra horses pulling skiers.

2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • cregeis1

Thanks Ernest T!
  • riverrock
    riverrock Member Posts: 2

I have a 2013 2200 DC OB with a Yamaha 225 hp.   We do lots of wake boarding, knee boarding and tubing.  Usually there are 6-8 people aboard and I have no problem popping up a wake boarder.  This engine has more than enough power for water sports.

• cregeis1
    Just to follow up on this post, we ended up with the Yamaha F250 XCA and couldn't be more happy.  This engine has plenty of power and we absolutely love the electronic shifting and guages.  Has anyone tried the new F200 yet?
  • M99
    M99 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    I just received my new 2200 DC OB with the new F200XB (4 cylinder) inline engine. Easily more power than I need but I don't pull skiers or tubers. 45-50 mph as fast as I am willing push the throttle forward and up on plane within 3 or 4 seconds even back at 4500 rpm, because I don't like to slam the throttle forward.  According to Yamaha, the sweet spot for that engine on this boat is right at about 4000 rpm at 30 mph, and I'd say that is about right. Keep in mind that the F200XB is 100 pounds lighter than the F200XA  - 6 cylinder engine.
  • skibum
    skibum Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Personally, because I have a vf200. I would put the largest engine the boat would handle. I highly recommend the vf200 and the vf250 (sho vmax series) they make the f series look like dogs in performance. Extreme mid and low end torque. I have a sho 200 on my fd226 re4 and it is unbelievably powerful for a 200hp engine. The vf series makes rated hp at 5600 rpm and the hp climbs even more on up to 6000 rpm.
  • herbertriggs
    herbertriggs Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    I have a hurricane 2200 DC OB with F200XB and it's plenty of power with top speed of 46mph. I tow 2 people on tubes with no problem with plenty of get up and usually have tubers tell me it's too fast.
    4.jpg 80.4K
  • cregeis1
    Very nice boat Herbertriggs!  I hope you are enjoying it!