Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2000 21 foot Deck Boat. Prop Questions.

CraigBondy
CraigBondy Member Posts: 3

Hi I'm trying to prop a 2013 Evinrude 150 on a 2000 21 foot Hurricane deck boat. The boat belong to my brother, and it has provided many years of service, and thousands of incredible memories. As purchased it was always under propped. It had a 150 fiSHIT Johnson with a 15x19 3 blade Aluminum. On the new motor the problem was 1000 times worse. I decided to try a 4 blade 14 3/8 SS 21 pitch, and the boat was awesome. But was still missing something, and only getting 4200 RPM full throttle trimmed down. I could trim up to optimum rpm 5200 but speed caps out around 4800. I know 21 pitch is too much.

Rather than trying to test 5 other props, I figure I would come here to have a look at the communities expertise. Im thinking 19P four blade, maybe a 15P 5 blade. Thanks a ton for any help everyone.

Comments

• servmgr64
    servmgr64 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭

Go to Mercury's website & use their prop calculator function. Just put the specs in & it will figure what you need & make a recommendation. It is pretty accurate.

servmgr64 2013 FD226 2013 Mercury 150 4-stroke 2014 Shorelander
  • CraigBondy

Thanks. But that still doesn't tell me anything I don't already know. This boat with a 150 on the back is slightly under powered, and prop selection is a crap shoot. Merc gives me 3,4,5 blade options of many diff pitches depending on the info I give it. This is the reason I posted to the manufacturer website of the people who built this boat. I am sure I am not the only one with a 21 foot Hurricane deck boat with a new 150 Etec on the back. Surely someone has found an optimum prop configuration. Anyone?

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

This probably won't help you, but my 2000 SD 217 (20 ft 10 in.) has a 150 Johnson (Carb not FICHT) and is propped at 15 X 17.  This runs at the high end of WOT range and performs fine.

2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • CraigBondy
    That's very interesting. Thanks much bshippjr. Sounds like we might have the same boat. This new motor was propped with a 15 x 19 aluminum 3 blade, and was terrible. The old V4 FICHT was ok with that prop when it wasnt blowing up lol. The new V6 must be a torque monster, because the old prop is like having bicycle tires on a Ferrari! The 21p 4 blade SS made a huge diff, but now im over propped. lol

I think I will stick with the 4 blade SS because we like extreme tubing, but I will try a 17 or 19p. Time to look for some prop deals. 

Here is a link to my test video. The audio is ****, and it's my fault. But will give you an idea where im at now, kinda. lol

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I put a 15p Powertech 4 blade MQS4 prop on my Yamaha 150 4 stroke.  I have a 217, which looks like the boat you have.  I'm hitting 5700 rpms at a top speed of around 40 mph.  Powertech calls this their "Ski Max" prop.  Hole shot is greatly improved over the 17p 3 blade SS Yamaha prop that came on the motor, but I lost 2-3 mph in top end speed.  I was right at the 6000 rpm max with the 3 blade prop.

2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner