Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Where to mount fishing rod holders on a SunDeck Sport?

nessdavy
nessdavy Member Posts: 6
I am the new owner of a 2013 188 SunDeck.  I love the boat but I cannot see a good place to mount a fishing rod holder for 3 or more rods.  Has anyone mounted a fishing rod holder on their SunDeck?  Is there a good place to do so and does anyone recommend a good rod holder?

Thanks!

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Hey nessdavy...I've asked a couple of Hurricane Engineers to weigh in on this.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a great question.  I guess it all depends on if you want to drill holes in the gunwales of your new boat or not.  I fish 50% of the time on my boat and have the same dilemma.  I can't bring myself to drill the holes!

My SD237 I/O has a fender holder mounted in the transom area and I mounted three stainless steel rail mount rod holders on the exterior of the holder and they work pretty well, but they don't help me if I fish elsewhere on the boat.  But I think I may have found my solution. 

There's a manufacturer named SeaSucker that makes "vacuum" (not "suction") mounted devices and rod holders are one of those products.  They can be mounted pretty much anywhere you have bare fiberglass exposed.  They claim they can also be mounted on non-skid surfaces too.

Here's the link to the rod holder products page of their website:

Maybe this will help!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Capt_Steve
    Looks like a pretty slick solution. Let us know if you guys give it a try.
  • nessdavy
    Thanks for the advice - I made an order at Seasucker.  We'll see how it goes.

Great forum.
  • Epavuk
    Epavuk Member Posts: 26
    I purchased the Seasucker rod holder and it works great on my SD Sport.   I mount it right behind the driver seat on the starboard side near the transom.   Works great!
  • cjjjdeck
    That's great to know Epavuk!  Appreciate you sharing.  I'm going to be getting a couple of them as well

Maybe nessdavy can give us his report when he gets them too.

• nessdavy
    Capt Steve - I bought the Seasucker 3 rod holder with the 4.5 inch suction cups.  It works really great, I'm able to trailer the rods in the rod holder down the road with no problem and the rod holder itself is really sturdy and of good quality. 

I did the same as Epavuk - mounted the holder behind the driver's seat, starboard side.  The only problem there is that you have to move the rods to put the bimini top down.  You can put the rods back in the holder while the top is down but you have to be careful when you have lures with hooks on them getting caught in the top while you motor around. 

• cjjjdeck
    Thanks for the update, it's much appreciated!  I'll be ordering a couple as well at sometime.

• Capt_Steve
    Hey ness...that is good info! Sure got to beat taking the hole saw to your SunDeck. I'll let you know if the engineers ever come up with a solution they've tried. Thanks to everyone for the feedback!
  • nessdavy
    edited December 2013
    Capt Steve - I bought the Seasucker 3 rod holde
  • Capt_Steve
    @nessdavy ... shoot us a pic of that install when you get a chance. Thanks!
  • bfrenchfl
    bfrenchfl Member Posts: 1

On my 2006 257 Sundeck, I mounted 4 seperate stainless rod holders on the fender mount on the transom. I also bought 4 removeable rod holders from West Marine. They come with a flat plate with 4 screw holes that I mounted on both sides in front and in back. The rod holders slip down in the plate. I remove them when I'm cruising and not fishing.

Barry

• ralphhwalker
    ralphhwalker Member Posts: 6
    I too was looking to install some rod holders, but I could not mount it behind the captains chair as I have a little fishing tackle storage that is right where I would have mounted it:

But I found a nice spot to mount some rail mounted rod holders. I tested them out this weekend and they worked so well I am going to get myself another 2 for father's day ;-)
  • cjjjdeck
    I've got three mounted in the exact same location.

Thanks for posting the pics!

• ss188rider
    ss188rider Member Posts: 17 ✭✭

I bought  a seasucker single air tank holder.  I use it on my 2013 ss188 to hold my fishing rods behind the driver's side, starboard side.  I got about 6 fishing rods and it holds them in place.  When trailering, I use the seasucker on the opposite side near the floor to hold them in place.