Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trouble Getting on Plane

2»

Comments

• donmat
    donmat Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I would also like to point out a trick I learned when installing the tabs. If you drill in reverse (slowly) when starting the holes in the transom, it reduces the chipping that normally occurs to the adjacent fiberglass. I also cover the area with masking tape for the same reason. Mark the depth on your bit so you don't drill too deep. Use plenty of 5200 sealant on the screws and in the holes.
  • broncojim1126
    broncojim1126 Member Posts: 1
      Ditch the trolling motors. Did it plane better without the trolling motors? Bet thats your problem, Ive seen several boats have a hard time planing with the motor mounted trolling motors.
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    I think you can safely transfer some weight forward as needed to get on plane at a slower speed. Most boats are built with the weight concentrated aft for safety reasons, so you won't stuff it into a big wave and disappear in a cloud of spray and fiberglass chunks. My FD196OB is stern-heavy with dual batteries and a fuel tank in the aft hold and it will put the bow way up in the air like you describe as it transitions from displacement mode. Not a serious issue, I just go a little faster and it climbs on out and levels off. I have a 4-stroke Yamaha 115hp motor with stock prop. Although with a previous boat (Deckboat brand 16ft. "Deckette") I moved the battery from the stern compartment to the bottom of the center console for the very reason you describe, I don't see the need for that. I anticipate that when I tow tubers, etc. some folks will need to sit in front for ballast. Can you stow some heavy gear in the forward hold? That would be better than adding tabs. Trim tabs, cavitation plate "wings" and all such devices work by redirecting water flow, so they rob you of some speed.