Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trailering Covers

CaptainChris
CaptainChris Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
Hey folks,

Got a question. I just purchased a semi-custom trailering cover for my 2001 2100 SD. It is a cover that has straps that connect to the trailer frame. I put it over my snap on cover for trailering and extra protection for outside storage. Two of the strap anchors have already come unstitched. I had a canvas shop fix the one last week, when the second one came apart today. Obviously, I am not happy about it. Assuming I don't get a satisfactory response from the manufacturer, I am wondering what brands some of you have had good luck with? I'm not going to 'out' the manufacturer just yet, as I'm hoping that they bend over backwards to make it right. Right off the bat, it was more of a royal purple color, than the navy blue I had ordered. It wasn't that big of a deal, but with the subsequent issues, they're not making me a very big fan right now. :)

Thanks 

Comments

• CaptainChris
    Ok. Got an update. I thought I'd share my experience with everyone, just in case it might help others.

I bought the first cover through westmarine.com. It was a Taylor Made cover. This was the cover that had the stitching issues, as well as a color issue. In talking to Taylor Made directly, they were quick to respond, but the answer was always that they wanted me to send it in to them, leaving me with no cover. They wouldn't send a replacement, and credit me back the money for the faulty one when it was returned. They said because it was repairable, they wouldn't do that for me. To westmaine.com's credit, they paid for the shipping back to them and credited me with no question.

To replace it, I ordered a Westland cover through iBoats.com. The new cover is easier to install because it has straps that snap together instead of having to thread the strap each time. The color was right too. It cost about $50 more, mostly because you have to buy the straps separately. 

Both covers fit fairly well, but with semi-custom covers, there seems to always be a little wiggle room there. Both vendors were very good with customer service, but Taylor Made must just have some QA issues right now. 

Hope this helps.
  • airwee
    airwee Member Posts: 4
    Thanks!  Helps a lot...I'm trying to find the best $$$/value combo for my 2001 GS 201.  
  • fldanny
    fldanny Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Can you please post a pic of your cover. I ordered a Carver Cover,,,waiting on it to arrive.
  • airwee
    airwee Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a Carver cover as well...hoping it fits well!
  • CaptainChris
    I realize this is quite late, but here is the pic of my boat with the Westland cover on it. So far, I have no complaints about it. Seems very well made. Not as good as a true custom cover I'm sure, but for a semi-custom trailering cover, I am happy with it. 
  • HookedUp1
    HookedUp1 Member Posts: 5
    Also a little late in responding but ---I have owned several boats and the only covers I have had the best luck with are covers that are custom made period...
    Covers that are sold online - are typically one size fits all - I don't want to put down any manufacture - but you get what you pay for.
    If you really want a cover that will last for years, ( with proper care), find a custom canvas cover maker and have them tailor make the cover to your boat.

Sorry for the soap box preaching --but I have been down this road.. and spent a lot of bucks trying to go the cheep route.

HookedUp1
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with HookedUp1.  Especially with a deckboat.  The problem is the deckboat design is not serviced by most of the store bought cover manufacturers.  FunDeck owners might get away with a pontoon style fit due to the design similarities to the deck, but it won't have a perfect fit in most instances.  But SunDeck and SunDeck Sport owners have a different story.  You might try a Tri-hull design, but it usually still is a compromise.  Yes, custom covers cost more, but they usually last longer and the shops that do this usually stand by their work.  For instance, I went to the shop I had my cover made to get a couple of new carpet snaps installed that had sheared and they did it for free because they knew I had a cover made there.  What do you think the chances are that I'll go back there.......
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Donnanewowner
    Donnanewowner Member Posts: 2
    we're new to a 2014 hurricane sundeck ob 2200 and having trouble putting the original cover on. anyone have written instructions?
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    My boat has a 2 piece cover.  The first piece covers the bow area and comes up to the bottom of the walk-through windshield.  The second section covers from the top of the windshield to the stern area.  The best method I found is that you start from the bow of the boat and work you way towards the stern.  Older covers do shrink a bit with time and can be challenging to try and stretch.  You can always take a Sharpie and write on the inside edge where to position the cover to the very front of the bow section to make it easier to identify.  Also, try and keep your snaps lubricated as it makes them easier to snap over their base.  
    I use the following product, which I get from West Marine, others offer similar products as well:

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• deniseschimmel
    deniseschimmel Member Posts: 3
    Where do you get your two piece cover?