Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

De-Winterizing my Hurricane

NEboater28
NEboater28 Member Posts: 14
I live in the northeast and paid a ton of money for the local dealer to winterize my hurricane (2012 187SD w/ 4.3 220 hp). I called them and they said it would be best to have them do a "spring prep" for the boat, and beat around the bush when I asked if I could do it myself. I'm trying do save myself a little $. Does anyone know what procedures I would do to de-winterize my boat with that engine?

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Without knowing how they winterized it (example did they simple drain the engine or did they use coolant and put the core plugs back in the engine) etc.  If coolant, you'll need to drain it as you would if they've used it in your livewell, sinks, etc depending on what you have)  Did they change your gear and engine oil?  They may have left hoses disconnected.  Does it have a livewell (make sure the pump is still fastened in the housing as its usually removed to winterize)

Boat US has a spring commissioning checklist which may be a good starting point.  http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/spring_checklist.asp

At minimum, you'll need to do the following:

1. Put the drain plug in the stern of the boat, remove any covers on the outdrive. 
    2. Charge, check or replace the battery, check the impeller water pump on the outdrive, replace if necessary. (being a 2012 it most likely will be fine) 
    3 Check the oil quality and levels (gear and engine), it should be new oil form the winterization process. 
    4. Fuel the boat. 
    5. Launch the boat or run it on water muffs (never start without it being in water or attached to muffs), start the engine, check the oil pressure, water temp, if everything is satisfactory
    6. Inspect belt and hoses for wear/damage.
    7. Remove/lubricate and reinstall prop.

So if you're comfortable, you can do it yourself but if you're uncertain, I suggest you agree to it from the dealer but ask if you can follow along so next year you'll be able to do these things yourself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • nquirk
    On last thing to add.  With your engine, you should have received an Operations and Maintenance Manual.  Refer to its winterization section as it may contain some useful specifics for that engine.
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the NE as well.  My dealer drains and fogs the engine, changes the drive fluid (to make sure there is no water leaking in), installs non-toxic antifreeze into baitwell and fresh water tank and runs all the pumps and sprayers in sinks and washdowns.  The engine oil and filter is changed in the spring.

My Mercury Marine manual does explain the the process of winterizing the engine and drive as nquirk suggests.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    For me, getting ready to go in the spring means installing the battery (which has been stored on a tender over the winter), and putting the boat in the water.  

I do an oil change, wash and wax the boat, fill and stabilize the fuel tank, fog the engine, change the fuel filters, spark plugs, etc. all as a part of the winterization process............but I have an outboard.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • NEboater28
    NEboater28 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks, I called the same dealer, and talked to a different tech, who wasn't trying to rip me off. Sounds like just reconnecting the battery and running it... They did the oil changes in the fall and fogged the engine. I've just installed smart tabs, so can't wait for ice out (New England) and to try it out!
  • nquirk
    NEBoater28.... good to hear.....
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB