Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Battery

Will the outboard motor keep the battery charged????

2006 Hurricane 188

2003 Yamaha 130 hp

2004 Trailmaster tandom axle with surge brakes

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Outboards do have an alternator that will charge your starting battery.  If you have more than one battery (like for a trolling motor or back-up battery), you may have a battery switch that controls the operation of the batteries.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @jerry226.  All outboards have a stator or alternator to maintain charge for your battery as cjjjdeck mentioned.  In the case of your engine, I believe its a 20 Amp alternator that should more than adequately maintain your battery for you.  As cjjjdeck mentioned, if you add multiple batteries you can look at a battery switch or a digital charger which will maintain your starting battery at full, and switch to alternate battery to charge only when the primary is fully charged.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • jerry226
    jerry226 Member Posts: 15
    Thank you two for your  responses. I have a switch and cables that I believe is for a trolling motor. I am thinking about getting a second battery for (just in case). this boat is to heavy to paddle if batt. goes dead.

2006 Hurricane 188

2003 Yamaha 130 hp

• woodmore
    woodmore Member Posts: 5

I recently bought a 2000 Fundeck 196R and it has two deep cycle batteries.  I found out that deep cycle batteries could cause problems so I'm changing them to starting batteries.  The issue I'm trying to solve is the transfer switch for this boat...if it has one...where would it be?  It's not on the helm panel.

I'm also trying to locate a wiring diagram if anyone can help.

• jerry226
    jerry226 Member Posts: 15
    One batt. is for starting the other is for trolling motor up front. I want to put two starting batteries so I can have a back up batt. I have a switch in back by the batteries and could switch if one went dead. we have a 45 gal tank and go for long trips and it would be had to get someone to tow you 50+ miles.

2006 Hurricane 188

2003 Yamaha 130 hp

• sunfun56
    sunfun56 Member Posts: 2

I see there are a second set of wires for another battery. I don't see a switch. I have a 226 sun deck with 115 Yamaha. 

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    sunfun56 said:

I see there are a second set of wires for another battery. I don't see a switch. I have a 226 sun deck with 115 Yamaha. 

Just taking a guess here, but could the cable you are seeing be part of the wiring harness for the trolling motor?  I believe the wiring harness is a standard feature.  I know the battery switch is an optional feature.

I have the wiring harness cables on my boat (although no trolling motor) and my battery switch was installed by a previous owner.

2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB