Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Full Cover or individual Seat Covers?

I live in Western NY State. The boat will never see any type of salt water. 

I just purchased my 2011 Fundeck 216 used, and it didn't come with any type of protective covering(s). The floor does not have any type of rug (although the snaps are there if I ever want to add the rugs).

I'm trying to decide what type of cover to get. The dealer suggested seat covers, but I thought that wouldn't help much when it comes to protecting the rest of the boat. Should I get a full cover?

What's the consensus out there?

Comments

• FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

My FD196 came with a fitted canvas cover that is supposedly road-rated, althought we keep the boat in the water so haven't tested that part. It takes only a minute to remove, less time than we must wait for the lift to drop the boat, and keeps everything clean. We can even leave wet life jackets laying out on deck to dry under the cover. I don't know what it would cost to order, but the factory cover will keep your boat real nice. Highly recommended.

• mwjustinger
    mwjustinger Member Posts: 11
    Thanks FlyingV5. Can I order a cover from Hurricane directly? It seems to me that it would be less expensive, and be a better fit than going to my local custom canvas store. 

The boat is in storage now, but I'd like to have a cover by boating season. 
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    mwjustinger.  I have a Sunbrella single boat cover.  I drive it on the highway at 55-65MPH with no issues and protects all of the inside of the boat, not just the seats.  I'd strongly consider that option and can be either ordered from a dealer and installed or purchased/installed from an aftermarket boat supplier/canvas maker
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @mwjustinger...factory covers are custom-installed just before shipping. Check with dealer to see what they recommend in your area...there may be a local canvas shop that does these sort of things all day long and could be a cheaper option. I would always opt for a full cover over individual seat covers, BTW.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the others that a full cover is best.  It will offer better overall protection and keep the boat cleaner.

Technically, there are two type of boat covers, "Mooring" and "Trailer".

Mooring covers are typically attached using snaps and will allow you to easily install and remove it while the boat is moored in a slip or on the water. These types of covers are not usually recommended to be used while trailering the boat as the snaps could undo while traveling at highway speeds.

Trailer covers are typically attached using rope/cord or straps, some wrap around the bottom and/or tighten just under the rubrail of the boat, and/or attach to the trailer frame. They are designed to travel at highway speeds without fear of the cover coming off.

If you are considering using a custom canvas shop, you have an opportunity to have them make you a "hybrid" cover having both mooring and trailering features designed into it. I did that when my previous boat needed a new cover (which was a trailer cover). I wanted to start mooring my boat at a local lake for the season, but also wanted the option to trailer it to other locations as well. The shop accomplished this by sewing in fabric loops into the cover so I could strap it to the frame of my trailer when I needed to, I was thrilled.  

The custom canvas shops usually will offer you a choice of fabrics, mostly to better help fit your budget (a good/better/best kinda thing).  I chose Sunbrella (usually on the "best" side) as I have never read any negative comments on that brand product.  I've attached some pics so you can see what they did.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• jbodollo
    jbodollo Member Posts: 9 ✭✭

I going to get a cover made because when I called Hurricane they  told me that they do not make a full cover for a 2013 SD 187. Looks like the Bimini will have to stick out the top much like a ski tower sense I cant lay it down flat. Has as anybody had one made for this model so I can see how it looks. The two pice cover that came with will just not do in this Florida sun !!!

• cjjjdeck
    I may be confused at your comment, if I understand you correctly, you have the factory bimini top.  If you have the factory bimini top, why is it not able to lay flat?

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    I agree.  I have a SD 217 and I lower the bimini and use a basic full cover that I bought online for winter, and the two piece snap on cover for the summer and leave the bimini up.  I can understand the hassle of having to put the bimini back up each time, if you use our boat frequently.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • jbodollo
    jbodollo Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Back to the conversation about the bimini . When I try to lay it flat it rest on top my OB motor. Plus I have a non retractable ski pole. And what do you do with the anchor light on top of the Bimini? HELP!!

• cjjjdeck
    I just took a closer look at the pictures of the SD187 OB and I see what you mean now. I learned something new!

It's really your decision if you want to use a full/trailer cover with the bimini top left up or in a stable lower position (maybe you can still lower it using the shorter support struts without touching the outboard or ski pole?).  This more than likely will be your choices:

1) Bimini up with cover going over the top, covering the entire boat (This would probably be the most costly in material)
    2) Bimini up, exposed to the elements, and cover wraps around bimini bases.
    3) Bimini in its lowest stable position (preferably on the shorter struts), covering the entire boat.
    The good news is that custom marine upholsterers that do this kind of work can do pretty much whatever you want, they usually have run across most scenarios and configurations to have solutions for them.  I'm sure they can accommodate a protruding ski pole and the stern light usually has a pivoting base bracket, where it attaches to the bimini top, to allow you to lower the pole.  If you don't know of one in your area, just ask your dealer or any nearby marina where you boat.

Let us know what you decide or end up with.  I'm sure other owners would like to see pics of the cover on your boat!