Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Speedometer Pitot Tube Pick Up

Options
delhaven
delhaven Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
Question for anyone out there with a MerCruiser engine, Bravo 3 out drive and Faria speedometer. The pick up hole for the speedometer sensor is in the drive, front side of the lower unit. Is it just a hole in the lower unit or do you have a small wheel fitting that plugs into the pick up hole?

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My unit is as described on the attachment from the Mercrusier manual.  

Maybe this helps.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• delhaven
    delhaven Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks.  That's what it looks like on my drive too. I thought Faria offered a small paddle wheel that fit in the pick up hole as the sender to the speedometer, but I found out they don't.

Has anyone replaced their water fed speedometer with a gps speedometer? Faria makes one. The gps antenna is in the speedometer.

I'm going to check it out because pitot tube senders fail eventually and they are not accurate.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interesting product!  I have a GPS chartplotter/sonar unit that gives me GPS speed (which is especially useful when going under 20 mph).  The accuracy between the readings of the two units have been pretty close (when the pitot tube unit finally starts to register). 

My previous boat had a paddle wheel sensor on the chartplotter/sonar unit I had and it worked great at all speeds.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experience with the GPS speedo as well.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer