Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

What size prop on a SS 201 I/O?

Hi, I bought a 2012 leftover SS 201 I/O with a 220hp Mercruiser with an Alpha 1 Drive and it came with a 3 blade 14.25 x 23 inch pitch aluminum prop.

According to the dealer's test technician, he tested it at 52 mpi @ 4800 WOT.  However, when I got the boat and broke her in, the best I could do was 45 (GPS) MPI @ 4400rpm!!  I was not only somewhat confused but disappointed.  Either the technician was lying or something happened in transportation to the boat which was less likely.

I borrowed a 14 x 21 aluminum prop and was able to hit 5000 RPM and about 44MPH in rough and windy lake water while the 23 pitch could do only about 41 or 42.

I am thinking about putting a 14 x 22 inch pitch stainless steel cupped prop on and would like to get your comments, which would be welcomed.

Answers

• gkhoekstra
    gkhoekstra Member Posts: 2
    I own your model, only of 2011 vintage. I use a Mercury Mirage Plus 14 3/4 X 21 propeller. WOT with one aboard sees 46-47 mph at 4900 RPM. Hole shot is acceptable, if not spectacular. I also feel that the larger diameter prop helps with the slow speed wandering that this model is known for.
  • sirbuilder99
    sirbuilder99 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Thanks GK. Is your prop a 3 or 4 blade?
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @sirbuilder99, the Mercury Mirage Plus is a Stainless Steel, 3 blade propeller.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • sirbuilder99
    sirbuilder99 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭

Is anyone using a 22 inch pitch prop and if so, what are the performance charachteristics?
  • avalanche
    avalanche Member Posts: 16 ✭✭

What are you looking for- hole shot or top speed?i 

My 2013 188 merc 220 hp alpha(with catalytic converter and OBD) came with same prop set up as you-23" pitch   14.25" 3 blade alum prop.    Hole shot and time tp plane was terrible but my top speed was 55-56 mph at 4800 rpm . I wanted hole shot so I experimented with various props .   Always a tradeoff between top speed and hole shot with prop pitch and number of blades apparently being the biggest influence.

We ended up with a High 5 19" pitch 5 blade stainless steel prop and sx80 trim tabs which improved hole shot and time to plane but reduced top speed to 44 mph .

My Merc dealer helped me through this by lending me various props to try.

Hope this helps