Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

1999 Yamaha Outboard Alarm

Hello All,

We just bought a used 1999 Hurricane Fun Deck 248 with a 1999 200 hp Yamaha outboard.  We are extremely excited about the purchase but me being a worrier, I always have concerns.  The one that sticks out now is the alarm on startup.  I've read some places that the alarm should chime or buzz on startup to insure that its working.  Ours doesn't make a sound on startup.  Is this normal?  How can I verify the system is working?

Thanks All and Happy Boating!

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

I'm making an assumption that this is a Yamaha 2 stroke engine?

My understand from others is that Yamaha's do not emit a tone when the key is turned to the on position. 

However, I believe to hear the warning alarm, pull the safety lanyard. When the key is turned to the start position the horn will sound.  This will verify the alarm works.

Next, there are a bunch of sensors you can test separately to verify their operation, depending on your comfort level with this type of stuff.

DISCLAIMER - I'm not a Yamaha mechanic nor can I confirm what you're doing so if you're uncomfortable, take it to an authorized Yahama dealer and have them run a diagnostic.

Temperature Sensor

Pull the sensor and hold a lighter to it.  It should alarm, if not it needs to be serviced.

You can also easily disconnect the pink and black wires going to the overtemp sensor on the head. Then, on the engine side, plug the black wire lead into the pink wire lead. The alarm should sound.

Low Oil Alarm

The glass sight tube can be removed and the main oil tank drained into a clean container. When the oil gets low the alarm should sound. Just turn the motor off as soon as the alarm sounds so the motor is never run without oil.

If the alarm does not sound get the system serviced.

Hope this helps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • BearFan30
    BearFan30 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Thanks so much nquirk!  I'm heading down to the boat tonight to give these a try!
  • BearFan30
    BearFan30 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Thanks for your help! I did have a chance to test the alarm last night using the diagnosis that nquirk provided.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work.  Does anyone know where the actual alarm is located so I can verify the wiring?  Its  a 1999 Hurricane Fun Deck 248 with a 2 stroke 200 HP Yamaha outboard.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@BearFan30, unfortunately you'll need to wiring schematics for a Yamaha to determine that.  You may find them or someone who can assist on the Yamaha forums or purchase the Service Manual for your specific engine from Yahama (around $100 or so) or even check a local book store for the aftermarket service manual which may have this detail (SELOC produces these for much less)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer