Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

New to me Sundeck 201 (Almost)

omar174
omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in General Discussions
I made an offer on a Sundeck 201, and the owner of the boat accepted it. So pending a sea trial tomorrow, I will own it. Its a 1999 Sundeck 201 with a Honda 130. The boat is really clean with some minor cosmetic challenges. My plans are to give it a very minor refresh. 

1. A few seams are coming apart on the seat backs. The vinyl looks like new so I'll have them resewn.

2. The fake wood on the dash looks weathered. I'll probably paint it or replace it.

3. Some of the gauges also look weathered. Maybe I'll replace all of them, since they aren't too expensive.

4. Minor gel coat damage. 

5. The throttle control is a Mercury unit. I asked the broker/dealer why and he said its not uncommon since its a mechanical part that they all work the same no matter what brand motor. Not sure, what do you guys think? I could just buy a used Honda control and sell the Mercury if need be. 

I'll post pics if the deal goes through. 

Its not the exact boat I wanted, but I think its a good deal so I'll make it work. I was hoping to find a deal on a Sundeck 217, but the only good deal I found was sold almost immediately, I could kick myself for not jumping on it! All of the others are too far or way too expensive for me. But, my main goal was to get something a little bigger and a little faster then my Fundeck 196 with a Honda 115, and for not much more money then I got for my Fundeck. I know the 201, is bigger. Hopefully its a little bit faster. Wish me luck! 
2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like mostly cosmetic repairs, which shouldn't get to crazy to fix (not sure about the throttle control issue).  Of course it's the engine that has the biggest concern.  Hope the sea trial goes as good or better than you expect!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• hurricanesml
    hurricanesml Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 201 with a Merc 200 hp Optimax OB, like new, freshwater only, no trailer that I'm selling.  Less than 150 hours. What's it worth?
  • omar174
    @Hurricanesml

Look at NADA.com and get a rough idea. Then look to see what prices in your area are like on craigslist or boattrader.com. Between those two sources, you should be able to price it right.
  • omar174
    I bought it. The dealer was asking $8500, no trailer. I offered $6500 and they took it. Actually, they were brokering the boat and the owner accepted, didn't counter or anything. The thing ran like a champ. Its very clean with some minor cosmetic imperfections which I will address in the spring. I've been calling it a Sundeck Sport, but its actually a Fundeck 201. 

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @omar174 ... sounds like a great deal... wishing you many years of FUN!
  • omar174
    edited September 2013
    Lets see if this works. Got some not so good pics from the dealers website. On a couple of the pics you can see the blue and white Sundeck 217 that I REALLY wanted but waited too long to make an offer. But, whats done is done and I got this one instead. I feel good about it since it cost a little more then half of what the 217. Now the torture begins, I had to put it away for the winter as soon as I paid for it. I won't see it til next May. 

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @omar174, nice looking boat and I feel your pain.  I pulled my boat last weekend and I'm preparing it for winterization and storage this weekend.  Always a sad time for us Northern boaters  :(
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    omar174 said:
    I made an offer on a Sundeck 201, and the owner of the boat accepted it. So pending a sea trial tomorrow, I will own it. Its a 1999 Sundeck 201 with a Honda 130. The boat is really clean with some minor cosmetic challenges. My plans are to give it a very minor refresh. 

1. A few seams are coming apart on the seat backs. The vinyl looks like new so I'll have them resewn.

2. The fake wood on the dash looks weathered. I'll probably paint it or replace it.

3. Some of the gauges also look weathered. Maybe I'll replace all of them, since they aren't too expensive.

4. Minor gel coat damage. 

5. The throttle control is a Mercury unit. I asked the broker/dealer why and he said its not uncommon since its a mechanical part that they all work the same no matter what brand motor. Not sure, what do you guys think? I could just buy a used Honda control and sell the Mercury if need be. 

I'll post pics if the deal goes through. 

Its not the exact boat I wanted, but I think its a good deal so I'll make it work. I was hoping to find a deal on a Sundeck 217, but the only good deal I found was sold almost immediately, I could kick myself for not jumping on it! All of the others are too far or way too expensive for me. But, my main goal was to get something a little bigger and a little faster then my Fundeck 196 with a Honda 115, and for not much more money then I got for my Fundeck. I know the 201, is bigger. Hopefully its a little bit faster. Wish me luck!

Please make sure you take the boat to a qualified mechanic BEFORE you pay for it. I also did a sea trial on my 2001 GS201 in April before buying the boat, and now some $4000 later I realize how lucky I was to even make it back from the 40 minute trial without being towed!! Caveat Emptor.

Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection