Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Water from the fresh water tank smells foul....

yzfmik
yzfmik Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
I used my fresh water hose at the stern of my 188OB yesterday and the water had a foul oder.  I always refill the tank after I get home, but hadn't used the boat in about 6 weeks.  The boat is stored in my garage, so it doesn't get extreme heat/cold exposure.  Has anyone else has this issue?
2012 188 Sundeck Sport OB w/ Yamaha 115

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

While the fresh water tank is relatively dark in its location, water sitting for 6 weeks will go stagnant and promote algae growth/odor, particularly since it would not be air tight. 

Simply empty the tank and clean it (mixture of water and bleach - mixture of 4:1)

Tow it around to allow it to rinse the tank, flush it, then refill with clean water and flush.  It should be sufficient to clean it up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • 1pointofview
    1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    is there a plug to pull to empty the tank out or do you just run the hose until empty?
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • nquirk
    Unfortunately I don't have one on my boat so I couldn't confirm if there is a tank drain. :(
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • yzfmik
    yzfmik Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Thanks, I will empty & clean the tank next time I drag it out of the garage.
    2012 188 Sundeck Sport OB w/ Yamaha 115
  • nquirk
    @yzfmik, please let us know if that resolves this issue and if in fact a drain does exist.  And good luck.
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I have not found a quick way to drain the fresh water tank other than pumping it out through one of the sink faucets or washdown sprayer (or all three!).

We don't use the fresh water on board to drink (just washing/rinsing things mostly).  I always treat the fresh water going in to the tank with a pure chlorine bleach solution (NOT the detergent type, very important!) and it has always stayed fresh all season.  In the winter I flush the system with non-toxic anti-freeze before storage.  Go with what "nquirk" says about cleaning the tank, then you may consider maintaining the tank the way I suggest.

Here's the chlorine formula I use:

1/4 teaspoon bleach, per gallon

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• dolfan1967
    dolfan1967 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I had the same issue, foul smelling water in my brand new boat. I poured 12 oz. of bleach in my fresh water tank. The smell disappeared immediately. I also added more fresh water to my boat. Then, while underway, I borrowed a hairband from the Mrs. and used it to hold the sprayer handle on, and flushed the water out. When we returned to shore, I again filled the fresh water tank and added 6 oz of bleach.  Hope this helps

Carl
    2013 SD 2200 DC
    Yamaha 150 four-stroke
    Lowrance Elite-4 HDI
    Bow Cushion
    WindStorm trailering cover (tailored for bimini frame)
    Venture Tandem Bunk Trailer
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    By the way, and maybe all the rest of you know this already and I'm the dummy (wouldn't be the first time, ask my wife..... ahh, no.... don't ask my wife), but early this season I found out that the spray heads on my galley and head sinks can stay in the "full open" position by pulling "up" on the spray lever (DON"T ask me how I found this out!).  This is the first boat I've had with a fresh water system in it, so I was unfamiliar with the "dual action" of the spray lever.... neat feature.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer