Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Owners Manual 2001 SD217 with I/O

Dave
Dave Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
[8|]I purchased my SD217 early this year and everything seems to function as I would expect, however I do not have a manual to know for sure if I am operating correctly. The front deck hatch is where I am stowing my anchor but there is no liner so the anchor lays against the inside of the hull and also near electrical wiring. Not a good thing in my opinion. I have no idea of of how to maintain an I/O as I have always had smaller outboards. I learned that the alarm that sounds off when I turn the key on is for low oil pressure or cooling temp. It stops when the engine starts but it sure does get your attention. We love the boat, keep it at our marina which is walking distance from the house and have put about 20 hours on it so far. I have searched the internet and e-bay for a manual to no avail. but I sure would welcome a lead to a used or new manual.
Dave

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Dave

Unfortunately the Owner's Manual is very generic and is what is found here on the Owners Club website.  This came with my 2010 Hurricane as well.  ([link=http://www.hurricaneownersclub.com/Resource/OwnersManuals.aspx#1]http://www.hurricaneownersclub.com/Resource/OwnersManuals.aspx#1[/link])

On the anchor, I agree that their is no 'inner sleeve' to really hold the anchor in place.  I simply slide mine down further and tie it off the anchor cleat inside the locker to keep it stabilized.

You mention an I/O so I'll assume that you're probably running a 5.0L Mercruiser?  If so, if you want specifics on the engine or how to maintain and operate it, pop over to the forums on iboats.com.  Bunch of solid guys over there who can answer specifics about that engine as they're pretty common in most manufacturers boats.

Its normal for the beep when you first start the engine and as you've mentioned, it stops once the engine starts. 

I suspect you'd benefit from any of the gauges that Mercury may offer on that engine (not sure what your specific year/model of engine would support) but Merc has a bunch of those offerings on the newer outboards and MPI engines so again you'd need to determine if it was possible which would give you a visual indicate of what the alarm beep means when it happens.  (oil pressure, temperature, voltage, etc)

Hope this helps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    I agree with nquirk, the generic Hurricane manual is next to worthless.  There is nothing to really tell you how things work on the boat.  I've learned through experimentation, trial and error, and by asking questions on forums.  This is certainly one area Hurricane could use some improvement in. 

As to your I/O engine, I'd recommend contacting the engine manufacturer to get an owner's or service manual (depending on how much maintenance you plan to do yourself).  Another option is to post the model on the website that nquirk mentioned, and you may find someone there that can send you a copy.  Unfortunately, even having an engine manual may not help with the gauges and warning sounds.  My boat came with Faria gauges coupled with a Yamaha engine.  The Yamaha manual tells all about Yamaha gauges, but there was no information on how the Faria gauges worked, and I got nothing from Hurricane or my dealer concerning their operation. 

My anchor locker has a metal bracket that the anchor fits into to hold it in place, but there is no liner, etc..  I'm not sure if this is something that is standard on the boat or something my dealer installed.

Enjoy your 217SD!  I've got the same model, but with an outboard.  We took it out for the first time this season last weekend, and all was well. 
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • wekz1
    wekz1 Member Posts: 11
    Hi All.  Glad to hear that someone else thinks the Hurricane owners manual is next to useless.  The 2006 226RE that we purchased last year had all of the boat and motor documents that came with the boat when new.  The previous owner was good about keeping that stuff.  Like you, I was amazed at how generic the manual was.  Fortunately, the selling dealer was a Hurricane dealer and was able to answer the 100 or so questions I had. 

Bill
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Good point wekz1..... In my experience, the local Hurricane Dealer is a great place to start.  Even better if they're a Mercury shop as they'll have even further expertise when it comes to the specific engine.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Please find attached the Owners Manual.  Please let us know if you need any additional information. 
  • Dave
    Dave Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    admin wrote:

Please find attached the Owners Manual.  Please let us know if you need any additional information. 

Ah Ha, Thats what I wanted, Downloaded and saved on my flash drive. Thanks
  • smiley
    smiley Member Posts: 34
    Dave wrote:

[8|]I purchased my SD217 early this year and everything seems to function as I would expect, however I do not have a manual to know for sure if I am operating correctly. The front deck hatch is where I am stowing my anchor but there is no liner so the anchor lays against the inside of the hull and also near electrical wiring. Not a good thing in my opinion. I have no idea of of how to maintain an I/O as I have always had smaller outboards. I learned that the alarm that sounds off when I turn the key on is for low oil pressure or cooling temp. It stops when the engine starts but it sure does get your attention. We love the boat, keep it at our marina which is walking distance from the house and have put about 20 hours on it so far. I have searched the internet and e-bay for a manual to no avail. but I sure would welcome a lead to a used or new manual.
    Dave

The anchor on my 195 is a hanging set up. The line is in the bilge and the anchor hangs down into the locker from two recessed flanges that catch the horns of a danforth style anchor. So the head of the anchor is always right under the hatch cover, ready to go.

FYI