Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

New or Used???

I know I want a Hurricane FD or SD.  Dillema is a good used one with low hours can be half the price of a new one.  What is the benefit is getting a new one?  The Hull and Engine warranties should be transferable, and everything else is generally only a year warranty any way.  Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2013 FD 226

Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

Venture Trailer

2nd RGR BN.

Best Answers

Answers

• Broadway
    Broadway Member Posts: 33 ✭✭

Thanks CAP'n....reading through that was an education.  Looks like Godfrey warranties are generally not transferrable and that may be a good reason to buy new.

Thanks,

Chris

2013 FD 226

Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

Venture Trailer

2nd RGR BN.

• BWH
    BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    Capt Steve, how do I access the warranty info you just posted?  
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Hmmm...it should be visible on the post...let me try again.
  • BWH
    BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    got it, thanks
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Good luck finding a used one.  That was my original plan.  Unfortunately there were few used Hurricanes in my area, and all the boats we looked at had either been "rode hard and put away wet" or were way overpriced.  One woman, who hadn't used her boat in a couple of years, took us for a test ride, remembered how much she had missed using the boat, and refused to sell it at the end of the day.

We ended up getting a new one, and have been happy.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • CaptainChris
    CaptainChris Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I would recommend buying a well cared for used one. Having said that, it is harder than it sounds. We bought our 2001 SD 2100 this summer. It had been cared for very well, and we are loving it. It has the Volvo Penta 5.0GL with the SX outdrive. There are always little things that need to be done. That is just part of boat ownership. I've spent a good deal of money on a new trailering cover and a 4 blade prop, plus a few other odds and ends. I'm still well below the cost of a new one by far, but if I had ordered it new, I could have had everything delivered to me as I wanted it. I had a bad toggle switch, if it had been new, no problem, it would have been a warranty issue. But, in my case, it was $6 at Radio Shack and self installation. It depends on how interested you are in figuring things out as you go, or wanting to be covered by the warranty for a short while.

The interesting thing is that I haven't come across a boat online that has given me buyer's remorse. I feel like we kind of got a steal on our boat. For what we paid, and the condition it was in, I don't think we could have done much better. And, we bought it from a marina, to boot. So, in short, if you can find one that is in terrific condition, go for it; don't hold your breathe though. If you buy a new one, just be 100% sure you will use it and love it for many years to come. I've learned quickly that Hurricane owners are very happy boaters. I just ran into a fella with an 80s model that he is still in love with. 

Good Luck

Chris
  • tone100
    tone100 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Maybe you can find a new carryover. There were several at the boat show this last spring. I picked up my new 2011 188 with a 2012 Yamaha 150, tandem trailer, 5 year engine warranty, taxes and all for $23K. Even though its 2 years old on the books its new with a warranty.
    2011 SS 188 OB
    Yamaha F150
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Good advise by the previous posters and always a hard decision.  My Hurricane is the first "new" boat I bought and I loved the experience, love my boat and never regretted the decision to buy new this time

One comment I wanted to add in regards to going the "new" route is that you have the ability to purchase an extended warranty on most engines/drives.  I decided to upgrade my I/O warranty to 7 years, I thought it was a good deal. Just piece of mind.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Broadway
    Broadway Member Posts: 33 ✭✭

I ended up getting the "end of year" special that was unbelieveable.  2013 FD 226 with 7K worth of upgrades, Yam 150 4 stroke, new galvanized dual axle trailer ...out the door for 33,300K.  I knew I could get a great used boat in the high teens or low twenties, but this seemed to great to pass up.  I hope it was.

Thanks,

Chris

2013 FD 226

Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

Venture Trailer

2nd RGR BN.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I vote you made a wise decision on an awesome, fun boat!

The Yamaha motor just sweetened the deal!

Post pics!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Always bought used boats and loved them. If I tore something up I just fixed it or replaced it, the budget was not busted. Years ago I had a 16ft. Deckboat brand "Deckette" with a Chrysler75 that was a very versatile fish / ski / pleasure craft. Went shopping for used boats and discovered Hurricane fit the bill, but what was offered used needed serious work. $8k and it had rotten deck! Local dealer had boat show model at a good price, no waiting. FD196OB w/ 115 Yamaha 4stroke, nicely optioned. Our first new boat and we are glad we did it. Buy what you can pay for. It is a toy.