Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Hurricane Fun Deck in Salt Water

wekz1
wekz1 Member Posts: 11
Hi All We purchased a 2006 226RE Fun Deck last year and keep in a Marina in South Jersey.  We use it exclusivly on the ICW. We love it.  Unfortunately, we don't see any other boats like ours.  Does any one else have a similar boat in salt water?  

Comments

• callforbids
    callforbids Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    I am in Fort Myers, Florida and I see them all the time down here in the ICW. Have never heard of any problems operating them in salt water. Highly recommend flushing the engine out after every use.
  • smiley
    smiley Member Posts: 34
    We tow all over Fla.  New Smyrna Beach east coast, Ft Myers west coast, those dealers must have cleaned up hurricanes are everywhere. There were a few in the keys, not many. Quite a few inland on the river and lakes.  What is the saltwater question?

R
  • wekz1
    Hi.  When We did our research prior to purchasing our boat, it was very evident that the Hurricane's were much more popular in the Southern States. Now that we are owners, we just don't see them here in New Jersey on the ICW.  As baby boomers looking for ease of use and comfort, we think it's the perfect type of boat for these waters. We were just wondering why we don't see any others here along the Jersey shore.

• spouses
    spouses Member Posts: 5
    perhaps the area just needs more dealers. I keep mine in DE and run in the 'thin' water of the Indian River Bay and Bethany Bay with some time also along the local Atlantic Beaches.
    There are some parts (like the running lights) where the plastic plated chrome is subject to salt water corrosion, but probably no more so than other boats with similar 'bling' . Be sure to flush the motor (I have a Honda 225) and wash the boat after every use.
  • wekz1
    Thanks for the advise.  Going into our second season. We got into the habit of washing down after each use last year and I think it makes a difference. We haven't seen any effects of salt water yet other then the snaps on the playpen cover get hard to unsnap. I just hit them with a shot of CRC and that cures the problem.  I wish folks would stop calling our boat a Pontoon boat though.   LOL

Happy Boating
  • smiley
    Crc is messy, a free tube of lip balm at a boat show or vaseline will keep the snaps from corroding and getting "stuck".

I grew up on the silver bay portion of Barnegat bay, it is a great design for those skinny waters however the banging into  a 3-4' chop maybe be daunting to some for comfort, when the wind blows there the deck boat design gets a little pounding. (Not bad if you like watching the wife's .....bounce). But the beer in the cooler comes out foamy.

Probably more a local dealer issue than the boat design. I hear their floor plan attitude has lost them a few dealers down south.  It is a skinny, calm water design on the 195 which is great roaming among the mangroves for an anchor/camp site, with a huge gas tank for the size of the boat. We tent it over after anchoring and have more than a few stories all over the peninsula (fl). 

The dog met a dolphin up close last full moon, they were both very curious......
  • smiley
    Crc is messy, a free tube of lip balm at a boat show or vaseline will keep the snaps from corroding and getting "stuck".

I grew up on the silver bay portion of Barnegat bay, it is a great design for those skinny waters however the banging into  a 3-4' chop maybe be daunting to some for comfort, when the wind blows there the deck boat design gets a little pounding. (Not bad if you like watching the wife's .....bounce). But the beer in the cooler comes out foamy.

Probably more a local dealer issue than the boat design. I hear their floor plan attitude has lost them a few dealers down south.  It is a skinny, calm water design on the 195 which is great roaming among the mangroves for an anchor/camp site, with a huge gas tank for the size of the boat. We tent it over after anchoring and have more than a few stories all over the peninsula (fl). 

The dog met a dolphin up close last full moon, they were both very curious......
  • callforbids
    callforbids Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    What CRC product do you use? Thanks
  • wekz1
    I use good old 6-56  Works great.  A little spritz is all you need
  • wekz1
    You ar correct about the bounce in moderate chop.  We choose the 226re because of the ease in boarding.  The Entry gates are level with the dock so we do not have to step over anything to get on board. That's a big plus for us due to our back and knee problems.  I tell folks that fishing is like fishing from your living room sofa..lol  Very Comfortable...
  • mlmeador
    mlmeador Member Posts: 12
    Hi from Seabrook, Texas.  We off of Clear Lake (salt) and recently purchased a 2005 Fun Deck that was only on fresh water.  I think the boat is perfect for what we use it for and concur there are very few in the area (~3). Time will tell but i think it'll hold up well in the salt water/air.  By the way, a friend showed me a photo of a Hurricane Fun deck at a marina in Norway!...Marty Meador