Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Rust on Bimini frame

We have a 2009 FGSD 201 purchased new, stored at a dry storage facility in Jacksonville Fla. since delivery. We have yet to opened the Bimini Top.
[H4]The bimini frame and fixtures all have rust on it. [/H4] Suggestions please as to what are the recommended product(s) to remove the rust and what recommended products to minimize the rust.

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Best rust/corrosion protectors IMO:  Fluid Film, Corrosion X, CRC 656 in that order.  These products are not really designed to remove rust, but I've actually seen light rust disappear with their use.

I expect some of what you are seeing is on the surface.  My advice would be to apply one of the above products first, leave it in place for a day or two, then wipe, and you may see many of the stains removed.  If rust has penetrated through the surface, it will require more work with some type of chemical rust remover and/or an abrasive (scotchbrite pad, wire brush, etc..).  Problem is that once the surface is penetrated it will be even more prone to rust.  I've never tried it myself, but my brother claims that Bullfrog rust remover is a good product.  I know he has used it on his boat and trailer with success.

I wonder what type of metal the frames are made of?  I would expect stainless steel, or some type of chrome plated steel?
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • e9045992710
    e9045992710 Member Posts: 16
    Thank you for the quick response. I am going to the dealer today with you recommendations in hand.

• There is a product ? called Flitz that we recommend that they use to clean the stainless steel. I will email you with some instructions.  Please let me know if you need anything further. 
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    admin wrote:

There is a product ? called Flitz that we recommend that they use to clean the stainless steel. I will email you with some instructions.  Please let me know if you need anything further. 

Flitz makes some good products.  I've used it to restore the lenses on my headlights, and other faded plastic and it works great for that.  It is more of a polish type product, so if the rust is not deep it should work, but you may need a power buffer.  If the rust is deeper than the surface you will need something else.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • tjnolan
    tjnolan Member Posts: 3
    My 4 week old SD217 has what appears to be rust spots.  Very very disappointing.  I wash them off after each time out and would not expect it on a boat so new.  Did they use Chinese stainless or chrome steel? Not very happy!