Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

LED Replacement bulbs in Nav lights

cjjjdeck
cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭

I’m just curious.  I‘ve been thinking about changing my incandescent navigation bulbs to LED replacement bulbs (not change the fixtures).  The two navigation lights in the bow use a 31mm Festoon Bulb (and those fixtures sure get hot!). The bulb must be rated for a range of 1 nautical mile minimum (although I really would like it to be 2 nm rated).  I’ve been doing some research on them and the couple I’ve found so far that have the range rating are significantly more money (like about $5.00 per bulb vs. over $25.00 per bulb), I just want to make sure I’m not missing some others to consider (maybe that’s the price you pay for marine grade quality and if so, I’m OK with that).  

Have any of you made the change, if so, whose bulbs did you use?

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@cjjjdeck I haven't but am interested in doing so as well.  Typically, the cost of LED bulbs vs their counterparts (at least in 12V automotive and trailer lights) are approx. 5x the price.  Now the marine grade may account for tin vs copper socket, etc which would again drive the price a little higher.  Given that, anything in the 5-8x range would be acceptable in my opinion, and possibly more for the additional range as its a brighter LED.

My guess is $5-12 per bulb would be expected depending on the factors you've listed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • FL4995LM
    FL4995LM Member Posts: 8
    Yes, I've done this with my nav lights and it works great.  In fact, the LEDs draw less current for a brighter shine.  Last forever.  Do it, it's cheap and worth it.  
  • mrsflint09
    mrsflint09 Member Posts: 1
    I want to do that. Where did you find the bulbs at?