Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

New install on Hurricane GS 202

Options

Recently bought my 2nd Hurricane. Advanced from a 2006 196f to a mint 2004 GS 202 w/partial fishing package (Front Deck seats & Livewell only). I'm wanting to add a Minn Kota I-Pilot 80#, 54" or 60". I'm starting from scratch here and looking for any electrical/mounting tips on the installation.

Has anyone "BEEN HERE/DONE THAT"? 

Thanks

EZ

EzGoinFlGuy
2004 GS 202
Yamaha 150-4 Stroke
Brooksville, FL

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Options
    Welcome aboard EZ!
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options

@EzGoinFlGuy, welcome to the forums.  Love having new and 2nd time Hurricane owners on here.  A true testament to the quality and enjoyment of a Hurricane.

If you search 'Trolling Motor' on here you'll find several threads regarding trolling motor installations.

@Ernest_T, @cjjjdeck, myself and several other contributed to a thread on another forum (iboats) regarding trolling motors and Hurricanes.

Lots of great information, pictures, etc. on this thread as well.  Start here and then let us know if you have any more questions.

http://forums.iboats.com/hurricane-deck-boats/need-help-sizing-trolling-motor-543217.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • EzGoinFlGuy
    EzGoinFlGuy Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options

I did follow the url and discovered, if I understand it correctly; I can add 1 more battery to my battery box and use 1 of the 2 existing running batteries for my 24 volt MinnKota. Kinda sounds like robbing Peter to pay Paul. That would be great and a neat/clean install as long as I don't jeopardize the integrity of the boat's operating system. I have no problem buying a second battery, but finding a place to mount the pair would be my dilemma. 

I do appreciate all the valuable input here on the Hurricane Owners site. It sure saves one a lot of grief & time too. :o)   

EzGoinFlGuy
    2004 GS 202
    Yamaha 150-4 Stroke
    Brooksville, FL

• redngreedy
    redngreedy Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm running 4 batteries.  1 starting battery, 1 backup to that battery and 2 for the 24 volt Minn Kota.  Not sure what the battery compartment is like on your boat compared to my SS 201, but all 4 of my batteries are in the same spot.  

I went with the 54" shaft and it has been great.  
  • EzGoinFlGuy
    Options

I have a 2004 GS 202. I'd like to get away with a 54" shaft. (with 80# 24volt Minn Kota). I do not plan on using the trolling motor in rough seas. My concern is the 60" shaft would hang over the bow or side too much and a 54" shaft would fit in neater. Does anyone use or have any comments, pro, con or suggestions?

Thanks

EZ

EzGoinFlGuy
    2004 GS 202
    Yamaha 150-4 Stroke
    Brooksville, FL

• EzGoinFlGuy
    Options

Thanks Redngreedy,

My box will handle a 3rd battery, I may have to look for other storage area. Weight distribution may  be an upcoming issue if I locate 2  batteries somewhere else on the boat. OH well, that's part of being a boat owner!

EZ

EzGoinFlGuy
    2004 GS 202
    Yamaha 150-4 Stroke
    Brooksville, FL

• EzGoinFlGuy
    Options
    Redngreedy has also put my mind to rest on 54" shaft length. I will be boating in the Gulf of Mexico, but won't be trolling in real rough waters

EzGoinFlGuy
    2004 GS 202
    Yamaha 150-4 Stroke
    Brooksville, FL

• EzGoinFlGuy
    Options

cjjjdeck's input on another site has bee helpful too...

Thanks CJ

EzGoinFlGuy
    2004 GS 202
    Yamaha 150-4 Stroke
    Brooksville, FL

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You will absolutely appreciate the i-Pilot technology, it allows you to spend more time "fishin" rather than constantly "maneuvering"!

nquirk is right, there's a bunch of great posts regarding this on both forums.  I had trouble posting pictures on this forum at the time of the posts, not a problem now, so I'll post the mounted Terrova pics.  My dealer mounted my unit when I bought the boat, so I'm not experienced with the wiring installation, we just consulted on where best to locate the motor on the front deck.  I chose the MKA-32 quick release bracket and I'm very happy with it.  Some others like using the MKA-21, OR, if you prefer the white color on your boat (instead of black) you can use the RTA-17 (Although it shows this bracket only fitting Riptide models on Minn Kota's site, the MKA-21 and RTA-17 are identical, the color is the only difference). 
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• EzGoinFlGuy
    Options
    • cjjjdeck, Nice shots! That's the mount I had in mind! Is your MKota a 54" or 60" shaft? If it's a 60" could it be 6" shorter as in a 54" shaft?  I fish mostly fresh water and don't think I'll need the extra length you might want for choppy seas. Guess some of my concern is HangOver the port side & bow. Redngreedy uses a 54" and is quite happy with it.
    • Hey thanks CJ for the shots and your input. You're all a great bunch of guys on this Hurricane Owners Club Forum.   

EZ

EzGoinFlGuy
    2004 GS 202
    Yamaha 150-4 Stroke
    Brooksville, FL

• cjjjdeck
    Options
    EZ, I fish mostly fresh water as well and I do have the 60" shaft.  You want the motor to go a minimum of 12" (12" to 18" is the rule) below the surface of the water.  My bow sits a bit high at rest (I/O's probably contribute to that effect), so when I measured the distance from the bow to the waterline the 60" length was the right choice for my boat.  Just remember you can always adjust a longer shaft to be shallower.

Also, another thought, if your distance is falling kinda in between the 54" & 60" shafts and your still not quite sure which way to go, think about where you are going to store your motor.  I store my Terrova in the ski locker.  Thank goodness the composite shaft flexes just enough for me to sneak it in.  If you're going to use your ski locker to store your motor, measure the hatch opening (add locker length), that dimension might end up making up your mind.

• EzGoinFlGuy
    Options

CJ, Still torn between the 54/60. Sunday, weather permitting, I'll have the tape measure in my pocket. won't be bothering you guys any longer over the shaft length. Will put the subject  to bed! Was going to pull the trigger & order for the I-Pilot this AM, but will hold off till I'm sure!

Yes, Ski locker has plenty of extra room for the pilot....agreed.

I'll be attacking the battery storage issue next. Where to put the 2 batteries is going to be a challenge & surely will be back here with you guys for experienced input.

Thanks

EZ

EzGoinFlGuy
    2004 GS 202
    Yamaha 150-4 Stroke
    Brooksville, FL

• EzGoinFlGuy
    Options

Had her on the water today and actually remembered my tape measure. With me on the bow it measured 24" from bow to the water. I think I'm more the good with the 54" shaft. Thanks for the advise guys!

EZ

EzGoinFlGuy
    2004 GS 202
    Yamaha 150-4 Stroke
    Brooksville, FL

• cjjjdeck
    Options
    Decision sounds right EZ!  You're half way there!

Hope the install goes smooth!

• EzGoinFlGuy
    Options

<b></b>Now for the battery placement! No room for additional 2 batteries in the battery box, only room for 1 extra. Does mounting the pair forward somewhere like under the port lounge make any sense? Since This 2004 GS202 doesn't appear to be prewired for a trolling motor, wiring upfront would be a breeze! Any input is always appreciated.

EZ

EzGoinFlGuy
    2004 GS 202
    Yamaha 150-4 Stroke
    Brooksville, FL