Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Anchor for SS188 OB

Epavuk
Epavuk Member Posts: 26
Took my SS 188 OB to the ocean for the first time and it handled great. I think I saw more Hurricanes on the water than I ever have! Definitely a popular boat in Ponce Inlet, FL! What's a good anchor type and weight for my boat? I'm using a 5lb slip ring fluke but it does'nt seem to hold well. I noticed a lot of boats were using front and back anchors when beached in 2 ft of water at the sand bars. Any thoughts?

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a tough time finding an anchor that would fit in my anchor locker.  The size fluke style my boat required wouldn't quite fit in the locker.  After some research I decided to try a Chene (pronounced "Shane") anchor.  They are a bit different than other anchors as that they do not use a chain attached to help set it.  They are much lighter than most anchors and they work best using a 2:1 line length to depth ratio rather than a 7:1 for most anchors.  It also is designed to retrieve 100% of the time (so the manufacturer states). Lighter weight, no chain, shorter line length, easy to retrieve, sounds to good to be true!

Well, I bought it anyway at first because it's price was worth the shot even if it didn't work.The lake I'm mostly on has a soft, muddy bottom mostly and this anchor holds my boat great, even in a pretty stiff wind.  I use it in 10 to 30 feet of water.  So far, I'm sold, everything they stated about this anchor has been true at the lake.  I bought their biggest size, which is overrated for my boat, but it wasn't that much more money than the other sizes.  Here's their website:

Maybe others have used them and have had different results they want to share or used them in the waters that you are in.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Don't know if this applies, but this really helped my anchor problems.  The typical anchor will only work if the rode (anchor line) will hold the anchor in a horizontal position.  The anchor that cjjjdeck mentioned above is an exception and looks very interesting for close quarters use.  In my case I was in positions that I could not do the recommended 7:1 rode length for my standard danforth type anchor, simply because there was not enough room.  One suggestion that I got was to add a length of chain to the line (my dealer set up the anchor, and did not include any chain in the rode).  I added a 6' length of small diameter chain to the rode, and found the anchor not only held much better, but also this allowed me to use a shorter rode line length when anchoring.  The chain is weighty enough to hold the rode line horizontal where it connects to the anchor, so the anchor can "bite" and hold.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • tone100
    tone100 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I use one of the slip ring anchors from Academy on my 188. Like Ernest T I have a piece of chain between the anchor and the rope. I used a vinyl covered chain that cost around $20. It doesn't bounce around in the anchor locker as much as regular chain.
    2011 SS 188 OB
    Yamaha F150
  • Epavuk
    Epavuk Member Posts: 26
    Great feedback.  Thanks all!