Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Hydraulic Steering

BWH
BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

I have SeaStar hydraulic steering on my 2006 FD GS194, Suzuki 150.  Turning to the right is smooth and without issue.  However, turning to the left I get a "catch" about every 1/4 turn.   The catch (not sure what else to call it is consistent and has been this way since I purchased the boat a few months ago.  Anyone with similar situation or have possible causes/solutions?  Thanks   

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

BWH.  You'll need to know the model of your SeaStar that you're using on your boat but nothing I can think of that would cause this in one direction versus the other unless perhaps there is damage to the steering cylinder itself?

Have you tried to contact SeaStar directly?  They may be able to assist.  Contact their Hydraulic Steering Tech Support guys at the # listed from the link below

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/support-2/technical-support/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Lawyersteve
    Lawyersteve Member Posts: 3

did you ever resolve steering problem

lawyersteve@bellsouth.net

• BWH
    Have not, forgot to get model as suggested above. 
  • Lawyersteve
    Lawyersteve Member Posts: 3

i had same problem as you. had end caps changed on steering cylinder and system bled.  now it is perfect.. i am told there was air on 1 side of the cylinder causing the "catch" when turning left good luck!

• BWH
    Thanks for the info.  I topped off the fluid, lubed the rails and did a suggestion I read on another board regarding turning hard to the left while out of the water.  Honestly, not sure I fixed anything or have just become accustomed to it as we chase the last days of summer.  Although not a good practice, like several other things, it will get more attention once the tube, skis etc are put away for the winter.