Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Newbie at the Hurricane boat ownership

a124ave1
a124ave1 Member Posts: 1

Hi everyone,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I am new at this big boat Thing. Just got a Hurricane deck boat 1986 SD 176 I/O W/ 2.5Litre model # 302AMKWE OMC motor and Cobra 983841 outdrive. Had on Lake Saturday and motor ran fine as fair as I could tell. If speedometer is correct we were doing 45mph. I would add pictures but not sure if I can. The next time we take it out I think I am going to take portable GPS to see what it says it  The person who had it did not take too much care of it so had to do a lot of cleaning and some rewiring. I painted The Outdrive because it had about 40% of its paint missing. It now has new apostasy and carpet. Have many ouestions but here are a few if anyone can help.

1: When I first throttle up slowly the bow comes up pretty high and can’t see out over the front until I stand up and after a few minutes it will settle out and plane out at speed. The prop is not in to good of shape so am going to perchance a new one. It has 3 blades and no markings on it so I don’t know what pitch it is. I plan on getting a 4 blade one but question what would be go pitch to buy. We are occasionally may pull tubes but 60% of time will be fishing and just swimming from it. Any suggestions on this?

2: The shifter at console seems very sloppy. If I shift into forward and try to stop and go into reverse like unloading and loading the boat it seems to stick like it will not go. Any ideas of what may be wrong with it or adjustments that can be made?

3: I would like to find out and study the linkages and micro switches that are on the motor  so I can trouble shoot and maybe make it run better. Anyone have information on this. It has a sticker on valvue cover with model # 302AMKWE and another one saying 2.5Litre on top.

4: The previous owner did a terrible job on electrical wiring. I am an electrical Tech and want to rewire boat as it came from factory so would like to get schematics for this boat. Anyone with information can you help me with this.

As I said I am newbie so have may more questions but will stop here to see what I can find out with these first. And thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @a124ave1 ... this would be a good place to start for the motor/throttle/drive questions. http://www.gobookee.net/omc-stern-drive-repair-manual/
  • TGeyer42
    TGeyer42 Member Posts: 4
    a124ave1 said:

2: The shifter at console seems very sloppy. If I shift into forward and try to stop and go into reverse like unloading and loading the boat it seems to stick like it will not go. Any ideas of what may be wrong with it or adjustments that can be made?

Your problem sounds very familiar.  If I read you right it is difficult to pull out of gear, both from forward and reverse, and requires a very hefty pull (which after time wears the cable and shifter causing sloppiness).  Marine gears are cut with a taper to "lock" themselves together to prevent them from spontaneously poping out of gear.  To alleviate this, your engine has what is called a shift interrupter module which actually cuts the ignition to a couple of your cylinders (as you bring the shifter into neutral) to cause the engine to "shake", allowing the gears to separate.  On the 5.0L Cobra I used to own, the module was mounted to the portside manifold.  You may be able to temporarily fix the situation by tapping on the body of the module with the handle of a screwdriver, but the problem will return, usually within a day of two.  Replacement is easy, mounted with two bolts,  modular in-line plug.  Finding a replacement probably will be problematic, as OMC parts have not been manufactured in many years.  Substitutions from CDI and others may not work as an exact replacement us usually necessary.  Best bet - copy the OMC part number printed on the module and plug it into the search box on EBay. 

Hope this helps and good luck