Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Honda 225 mated to '97 FF 226

Jeff221
Jeff221 Member Posts: 7
I recently switched out my old 120hp Force for a 2007 Honda 225. Fabulous performance but extra weight makes stern dip lower than original waterline. I find that I need to run bilge more often than should be normal. The 225 weighs the same as a 200hp Honda so I'm a bit frustrated as to the extra water intake. Thought it was coming in from the rear scupper, but not the case. Ideas?

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @Jeff221 ... Looking at the Hurricane catalog for that year, it appears that your boat was rated to max out at 200 hp (see attached). Can't comment on the engine weight being the same and how that affects things, so maybe this will take a phone call to Honda to get it figured out. Good luck, Steve
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

@Jeff221.  The weight difference is around 200lbs between the the Force and the Honda 200/225HP engines so you're correct in having much higher bowrise.  My guess, and only a guess is that with the rise in the front, you may be collecting extra water two ways. 

One, when you stop you'd the wake/water rolls forward into the bilge in front of the outboard and you get some water intake there as the stern is now lower.

Two, (and I'm not familiar with your specific boat) but the bowrise may force water to run back towards the boat on the front deck when raining and collecting more water as a result of the anchor compartment.

Lastly, while the weight is the same, the transom is designed and approved to a maximum HP rating.  You may exposure yourself to undue liabilities, etc.

The United States Coast Guard has an opinion on this frequently asked question, and their answer from their website is reproduced below (originally posted in 2008, not sure if information is still current as I cannot find the direct link but is relevant):

Can I use a bigger motor on my boat than what it's rated for?

It is not a violation of Coast Guard regulations to install or use an engine larger than specified on the capacity label, but there may be state regulations prohibiting it, and restrictions from your own insurance company regarding this.
    There are no Coast Guard regulations against exceeding the safe loading capacity, however, there may be State regulations or restrictions from your insurance company which prohibit this. There is a Coast Guard regulation that gives Coast Guard Boarding Officers the power to terminate the use of a boat (send it back to shore) if, in the judgment of the Boarding Officer, the boat is overloaded. There is no fine for this, unless the operator refuses the Boarding Officer's order. We certainly hope that you will abide by the rating, as overloading may lead to capsizing or swamping of the boat.

NOTE: The Coast Guard Capacity Information label is required only on monohull boats less than 20' in length. The label is not required on multi-hull boats, pontoon boats (catamarans), or on any sailboats, canoes, kayaks, or inflatable boats, regardless of length.

As the Coast Guard mentions, local regulations may apply. For example, in the state of Ohio one should be guided by this regulation:
    Capacity Plates
    (ORC 1547.39 & ORC 1547-40)
    No person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft in excess of any of the stated limits on the capacity plate. When no capacity plate exists, no person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft if a reasonably prudent person would believe the total load aboard or the total horsepower of any motor or engine presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property

Something to consider and be aware of.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Jeff221
    Jeff221 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks guys for your comments. I too considered the hatch forward of the OB. I'll keep an eye on that. As to the HP overage, I do not redline or even come close to running at full throttle. Sensible boating as the family is always w me. I frequent Lake Mead & am careful w water & weather conditions. The best part is that w the Hurricane hull & the added HP, I ride high on any sort of chop. I also have a SE 300 Hydrofoil on the cavitation plate for immediate planing / no dig in w tight turns.