Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

How to get the boat on plane and to keep it there at low speeds?

mlbjs5
mlbjs5 Member Posts: 8
I have been enjoying my Hurricane SS 201 I/O for a lttle while. We bought it at the end of the season last year and have had it out a few times this year. I have noticed that you have to give alot of throttle to get it up to plane. I understand how trimming the lower unit helps this aspect. If you start out without giving it basically full throttle, the boat will not plane. What do I need to do to get it to plane without giving it full throttle?

Best Answers

Answers

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    What model year is your boat? 
  • mlbjs5
    mlbjs5 Member Posts: 8

2013. We brought it in August of 2012.

• anchor1
    anchor1 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2002 gs201 with a mercruiser 5.0 I/O that I recently purchased for the family. Great boat but I also am somewhat disappointed in the initial acceleration and time to get it on plane. It currently has a 21 pitch mercury Mirage SS prop. I was wondering if I switched to a mercury high five 21 or 19 pitch SS prop would it make any difference? Also saw the posting on smart tabs. I have no experience with them but after looking at them online seems like they might be part of a solution to my problem. Anyone have experience with them?
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@anchor1.   I suggest you grab your info on your current boat (top speed, RPMs, etc) and plug it in here to determine prop selection.  It will give you a good suggestion on where to head next in regards to pitch/blades/materials, etc

I can tell you I have a 5 blade High Five and its fantastic at hole shot and getting on plane quickly.  Even with that, I'm considering a set of Smart Tabs simply to allow me to maintain plane at lower speeds.  There a ton of boaters including Hurricane owners who swear by them.  (You can pick up a set for around $125 on Amazon.com) 

Perhaps start with the least expensive Smart Tabs, and if still in need of faster plane time, consider a swap of props.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • FloridaBruce
    FloridaBruce Member Posts: 3

Was also contemplating installing smart tabs but was concerned about intereference with the rear mounting ladder on my 2013 19 fun deck. Advise?

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@FloridaBruce.

This is not the same model boat you have but you can see a pic of how the ladder and Smart Tabs align.  Depends on the profile of your specific ladder but should work.

http://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/779/smart-tabs-installed#latest

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer