Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

SD 217 Full Cover? Rain getting in!

RSTAC1
RSTAC1 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
New SD 217 io owner and loving my Hurricane! My only frustration so far is with the boat cover.

First I can't seem to get the bow section on tight enough to prevent rain water build up without the snaps on the walk through windshield popping off. Is anyone else having this issue?

Secondly given the two piece design of the cover no matter how tight the cover is attached in a heavy rain down poor rain water is entering the boat - soaking the snap in carpet. After a few heavy days of rain carpet gets very soggy.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket full cover for a SD 217 io w/ extended platform? Cover doesn't necessarily need to cover platform.

I believe Carver Covers may have an option, anyone use their cover on a SD 217 io? Other covers being used that would be recommended?

I realize I can have a local shop custom make one but looking to avoid the hassle.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    I got an Endura cover for my 217 OB a few years ago:  http://www.iboats.com/Performance-Aqua-Shield-Trailerable/dm/cart_id.406299549--session_id.768510734--view_id.146549

The good is that the cover is light weight, and waterproof.  When I pull this cover off the boat in the spring, the inside looks just like I left it in the fall.  The fabric has held up well, with no fading, tearing etc. at this point.  It has an extension that covers the outboard.  I think this same company makes a cover for the IO model.

The bad is that the cover is well fitted for the boat, except at the rear where, it looks like whoever designed the cover did so on a boat that did not include a ski pole.  The ski pole held the cover up a little too much for it to fit properly around the rear corners of the boat.  I ended up having a local cover maker put a hole in the cover where the pole could protrude through with a rubber grommet to fit tightly around the pole to prevent leaks.  It works well now.  My other complaint is that I wish the cover came further down along the sides of the boat.  It just comes a few inches past the rub rail.

Bottom line is if I had it to do over, I would have a custom made cover from the woman that modified this one, that extended down further on the sides of the boat.  The cost would have been close to $1000, but from other custom covers I've seen, well worth the price..........especially if you store your boat outside year round.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • RSTAC1
    RSTAC1 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Thanks Ernest! I really appreciate the input, I'll include the Endura cover line in my search. and thanks for the link!
  • bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    I have a 2000 SD 217 OB that stays in a covered slip.  I have the two piece snap on cover that I use during the summer.  I had water ponding in bow area so I got a $10 adjustable support pole from Academy Sports that works great.  The table in the stern with a couple of life jackets over it prohibits water from ponding there.  I have the original cover and I am going to have to bite the bullet soon and get a new snap on cover, which I have priced at a local canvas shop at $850.  For the winter I bought a generic deck boat/OB full cover on ebay. 

Also, I recommend using 303 Fabric Guard on the cover to help waterproofing and for UV protection.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB